Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > Transportation

Goatdog's Project 505

<< < (3/97) > >>

Goatdog62:
I appreciate your comments C-Right 72. I have debated back and forth on the ARB bumper (or ShrockWorks). I can afford it and I love the look. It just screams "Prepper here...come and steal me!"

I may be a little paranoid about that. It is part of the reason i wish to hide the winch inside, I always have. Still undecided. Maybe just a bull bar, maybe the full ARB.

The air lockers are something I'm still reading up on. I need to maintain normal highway gearing because i drive that 505 miles a couple times a month. I really can't make the truck too off-road oriented, just capable above the average. I am intensely studying the six bugout routes I have picked out and focusing on the tougher terrain. The worst stuff is here on the coast and in the mountains near my destination. In between is just farm country.

I really have no rock crawling plans as things would have to go seriously wrong for that to happen.

I guess i'm saying i'm undecided on how much capability might be needed. I'll probably have a few questions for you on the air lockers soon.

homeshow:
what about extra/auxiliary fuel?  say you get to go the long long long way home.  what's the range on your vehicle?  does it have the biggest gas tank  they make for that model?   a bigger gas tank is a easy swap and no one will know.

archer:
That is a sweet ride GoatDog! Keep us updated.

TrashCanMan:
Really enjoyed reading this.  Thanks, Goatdog :)

I'm midway through a VW BOV restoration/upgrade.  I really like the false floor idea.  How is the board held in place or does it stay in place under its own weight?

edit - forgot to add a +1 :)

Goatdog62:

--- Quote from: homeshow on July 29, 2009, 07:25:25 AM ---what about extra/auxiliary fuel?  say you get to go the long long long way home.  what's the range on your vehicle?  does it have the biggest gas tank  they make for that model?   a bigger gas tank is a easy swap and no one will know.

--- End quote ---

Fair question. I have six 5 gallon GI cans for fuel. They'll mount on the receiver hitch rack (holds 500 lbs). It has a 23 gallon tank (only choice, no upgrades). I can normally get home on about 24-25 gallons. The 30 extra in the cans gives me a cushion that makes me feel better. In my epic quest to get home post=SHTF, a 5 gallon can of fuel will have some value. I wouldn't wait until I needed to fill up to use the cans. I'd add 5 gallons everytime the tank would take it to minimize the risk of losing my extra for some reason. There really isn't room for more gas tank anywhere in or under that truck.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version