Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > COVID-19 Coronavirus Pandemic

What if This is Normal?

<< < (2/3) > >>

Morning Sunshine:

--- Quote from: David in MN on October 03, 2020, 11:21:51 AM ---I guess what I'm getting at is that I can provide an alternative at home. One thing about 2020 is that I spent a lot of time cooking with my daughter and tending the garden which she loved. I'd also like for her to see an art museum or an aquarium. There's a richness to life I feel we have lost and will not reacquire.

--- End quote ---

I agree with this.  My solo backpacking tour around western Europe is not a possibility for my children.  And I am saddened.

Maybe I am just a "glass half full" girl and am looking desperately for the good in all of this!

David in MN:

--- Quote from: Morning Sunshine on October 03, 2020, 12:00:09 PM ---I agree with this.  My solo backpacking tour around western Europe is not a possibility for my children.  And I am saddened.

Maybe I am just a "glass half full" girl and am looking desperately for the good in all of this!

--- End quote ---

I sadly agree. And not just that we are raising a "lost generation" in that all the businesses that would support such a venture are gone. What would happen to our kids if they show up at the hostel with a cough and runny nose? Sleep in the street? I did Eastern Canada as a kid. Even that's off the table.

It's why I say we will never come back from this. If you live in North America or Western Europe your standards of "normal" are pretty remarkable. I realize most of us never took advantage to live the vagabond lifestyle but it was at least an option.

I grimace as I look at the trajectory of human movement. My mother's grandparents hopped a boat to come here with no plans and no future (and no English). [I have no ever loving idea how long dad's family has been here.] My mother is dual citizen USA/Canada. I went to Canada as a teen with no paperwork whatsoever. My kid will be lucky to get on a plane after passing the bomb sniffing dog, the drug sniffing dog, the COVID sniffing dog (yes, that's a thing), a temperature check, a strip search, etc.

The uh  :tinfoily: part of my brain is screeching that this is what they've always wanted. Every citizen a prisoner in their own home with the only external connection coming through a heavily regulated screen.

iam4liberty:

--- Quote from: iam4liberty on October 03, 2020, 10:35:03 AM ---One thing is for sure, cruiselines are dead for the near future.

--- End quote ---

Cruiseships are now being sold for scrap.  The cruiselines dont have the cash to maintain or dock them.  Imagine this, each of these ships is a $500 Million investment which is now a negative asset.   Amazing photos of them being dismantled.

https://gizmodo.com/these-luxury-cruise-ships-are-being-sold-for-scrap-meta-1845328219/amp

These Luxury Cruise Ships Are Being Sold for Scrap Metal
Ships Haven’t Been Able to Sail on U.S. Waters for Months

Morning Sunshine:
I never got to take a cruise.  I can't say I ever wanted to, but it is sad to see that gone.

iam4liberty:

--- Quote from: Morning Sunshine on October 11, 2020, 05:08:51 PM ---I never got to take a cruise.  I can't say I ever wanted to, but it is sad to see that gone.

--- End quote ---

They will be back as long as election doesnt go progressive.  Two of the lines have maintained enough of a cash position to last through Spring so they will rebound with much greater share of market afterwards as their competitors disappear.  Same for airlines.  The weaker brands will fall to the wayside but the remaining ones will rebound.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version