Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > Emergency Preparations

the ultimate survival suit for wet and cold

<< < (2/2)

surfivor:

That may be somewhat true, although the suits we wear fit very snugly and the warmer one's vary from 4 to 6 mil in thickness. It's not like you feel really warm after you get out of the water in the winter, but you don't feel that much colder than when you where in the water, though you may never have felt really super warm to begin with.  When I had had the right booties and gloves, I used to be able to surf for maybe almost 2 hours in the winter when the water might have been 40 degrees or something and the air upper 30's say. I don't surf as much in the winter anymore. I've surfed in North Carolina in late December several times, and it's warm enough down there that time of year to just wear a spring suit of 4 mil.

If you wanted to get out of the suit, you'd could build a fire, then take the suit off. I often changed in my truck camper, some people change in the parking lot when it's 35 degrees out. 

Most surfers wear wet suits, the winter ones cost around $300, spring suits a bit cheaper. I came up with the idea thinking about how I could flee an urban area in the winter under martial law like conditions when there where large rivers to cross and I might want to stay away from bridges to not attract attention. In that case, swimming seemed like an idea.

A man yells across the river to me and says "How do you get to the other side of the river ?" I yell back "you are on the other side of the river"

surfivor:

Another way to describe this might be that in the winter, when you first get to the beach and you are walking towards the water, you may not feel super toasty, but once you get in the water, now you feel colder than before.

Once you get out of the water with the suit on, you don't feel like jumping back into the 40 degree water to warm up, it does actually seem that the suit has warmth in the air, but of course the air and the water can be different temperatures, but it's not going to be as warm as a parka and all.

The suit warming up in the water may be working under different principles than in the air since air is a gas, water is liquid, that's my best guess.

BigDanInTX:
LOL...

I learned how to dive over in Saudi Arabia, where my step-father works.  We did our normal swimming pool dives, but our live dives were done iin Half Moon Bay.  For some reason, I felt compelled to bring a windbreaker with me when we went out and I am really glad I did.  Getting out of that water, with the wind blowing as much as it was, I was actually quite cold even though the air temperature was around 100-110.  I was diving with a shirt on, as I didn't own a wetsuit, so the water was trapped in the t-shirt, allowing the evaporation effect to drop my body temperature more than if I didn't have a shirt on.  With the windbreaker on, I managed to keep the water near my body temperature as it slowly dried out from the heat.  It got a little humid under the nylon windbreaker, but once the shirt dried most of the way, taking it off cooled me down to a good temperature to enjoy the outside air.

I'm curious how the wetsuit dynamics would work 1. In cold weather when you're trying to change into warmer clothes or to put dry clothes on (and keep them dry)...depending on the scenario you envision, and 2. how it would work if there's a good breeze blowing, and you have wind chill to deal with (does wind penetrate a wetsuit?).

Also, you say that you are putting this scenario forth as a way to avoid attention and propose the best way to avoid elemental exposure is to start a fire.  I'm curious how you can start a fire and not give away your position...

Beetle:
In the Pacific Northwest when the rain is pouring and your working in the woods, it pays to wear wool. I also likeTin pants http://www.woolnstuff.com/fidotinpa.html to keep dry. For footwear Danners are a must. When it's not raining Carhartt Double fronts are warm and durable. Madsens saw shop in Chehalis Wa. is a great place to get stuff.
http://www.madsens1.com/.

surfivor:

--- Quote from: BigDanInTX on October 02, 2008, 02:16:26 PM ---
Also, you say that you are putting this scenario forth as a way to avoid attention and propose the best way to avoid elemental exposure is to start a fire.  I'm curious how you can start a fire and not give away your position...

--- End quote ---

Well, there are many possible problems. You get to this river, it could be really cold, so you might feel like waiting to see if it will warm up in a day or two. Maybe it's one of those cold days and it's 0 degrees or something, that is one cold day. Waiting around for it to warm up might not be alot of fun ..

Another problem, you might reach this river at some spot where the river is flowing quickly, if you swim across what if there are rapids downstream ?

or, suppose for some strange reason your matches and lighter get wet even though you though they where packed away in water tight containers ...

Someone might see you swim across, maybe you'd want to do it at night, but then it's hard to see what's on the otherside, what's downstream.

There may not be a fool proof solution. If you cross someplace where there's not alot of people, maybe a fire would not get noticed, maybe you could cross and walk for an hour someplace and then light a fire ..

It seems like in any survival situation, there could be an element of luck involved. You got your gear and all, if anything happens to it, you can't replace it. Medical attention is not easy to find. Many things could go wrong, if your lucky maybe they won't. Ideally I would want to hook up with people at some point and find a community, or find someone to go with, but they might slow me down. I haven't thought about every possibility

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version