Armory, Self Defense, And EDC > Black Powder and Primitive Weapons

How to get a stuck bullet out.

<< < (2/3) > >>

A Pirate:
Thanks for the help I think I will go with the co2 idea. Just out of note I had to washout all the powder and spray anti-rust in there due to the fact that it will be a while till I can fix, plus my dad is a welder and his answer is always fire.

RipTombstone:
"his answer is always fire."

Thats funny! My answer is usually a bigger hammer.
Good luck.
DM

vulture774:

--- Quote from: A Pirate on December 30, 2010, 02:41:50 PM ---Thanks for the help I think I will go with the co2 idea. Just out of note I had to washout all the powder and spray anti-rust in there due to the fact that it will be a while till I can fix, plus my dad is a welder and his answer is always fire.

--- End quote ---

If the seal between the projectile and the bore is compromised...CO2 may not help.

In this case, find a way to introduce a small amount of 4F powder behind the projectile, as has been suggested earlier.

NOTE:  THIS IS IN CAPS BECAUSE IT'S VERY IMPORTANT!!!!!  RESET THE PROJECTILE TIGHT TO THE NEW POWDER CHARGE BEFORE LIGHTING IT OFF.  IF THE FIRST TRY DOESN'T WORK....ADD A BIT MORE POWDER BEHIND THE PROJECTILE AND THEN RE-SEAT THE PROJECTILE TIGHT TO  THE CHARGE,
 RE-SEAT THE PROJECTILE TIGHT TO THE CHARGE,
RE-SEAT THE PROJECTILE TIGHT TO THE CHARGE,
RE-SEAT THE PROJECTILE TIGHT TO THE CHARGE! 

Try it gain,  it will come out eventually.

A Pirate:
I have two thoughts on recharging the the rifle. 1. with the split up old ramrod I do not know how well I can reset the round. 2. Can I buy a small amount of 4f powder? I built this thing back when I was 16 and have not used the one pound of FFg that I bought 7 years ago. Having 2 kinds of powder in the same style of can could lead to major problems and who knows what would happen if the cops or my landlord saw a couple of pounds of powder owned by a 23 year old vet with a mohawk.

RipTombstone:
You may have to make a new temporary ramrod out of a 3/8" dowel, or something just under bore size. That should get it pushed back down, with no worry of getting a new ramrod stuck next to the old one.

As far as powder, I believe it is only sold in 1 lb cans at the minimum. The 4F is very fine, and should work great as suggested before. I didnt even take grain size into consideration. I used 3F, so it was close anyway.

Is it illegal for you to own powder where you live? Do you have special rules for storage in your town/county/state, etc?
I have over 25 lbs of powder myself, but also shoot a heck of a lot of it over the course of a year, and it is kept in a firebox.

If its not a legal issue, dont worry about what the landlord says. You have a legitimate use for it with your blackpowder rifle. Just be smart, keep it put away, and dont be making cherry bombs in the back forty.... ;)

Good luck to you!
DM

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version