Armory, Self Defense, And EDC > Black Powder and Primitive Weapons

How to get a stuck bullet out.

(1/3) > >>

A Pirate:
My powder got wet while hunting in a snow storm. We put a bullet puller into the round and while tugging the ramrod snapped. My dad and I have two plans. 1. Take a screw welded to a rod and screw out what is left of the ram rod get it out, then use a bullet puller again. Or 2, hook up the blow torch and melt the lead slug. Can you all tell me what you would do in this situation? Thank you.

Bradbn4:
By the time that lead hits up - I would expect what powder to have dried and cooked off.  I do think heating the barrel up that hot might cause a loss of temper of the barrel.

You should remove the rod, let the powder dry out - and dry a new cap ?  or is it flint lock...

I am not sure if you could use compressed air from the breach side and "push" the ball / powder out.

If the powder has fizzled - I would still try to get the bullet puller out - and in a safe location  use a bunch of primers and slowly force the bullet out.

When I had a squib load I used primed brass to push the round out of the barrel.  It took about 4 trys before the bullet dribbled out of the barrel.

bladesmith:
Thompson center sells a neat device that uses co2 cylinders to remove a stuck ball.   the other option is to remove the nipple and force a little 4f powder in the hole screw the nipple back in recap and fire.

The Professor:
Well, crap, Bladesmith beat me to it.

Go down to your nearest gunshop and get what's called a "CO2 Discharger/Unloader".  It fits right on the  nipple and a few quick shots should do it.   You may want to lube up the barrel, a bit, before you do it to make it easier for the bullet to slide down.

Here's a link to the item at Cabela's, as a reference.

http://www.gunaccessories.com/RMC/EC_Unloader.asp

The Professor

RipTombstone:
OR, pull the nipple off the bolster, shake out all the powder you can get out of it. If it got wet, it might be caked up in there, so a toothpick might help to loosen it up. Dont use a sparking metal, as it "could" set off the powder... (that said, I use a normal safety pin or bent paper clip, which will spark, etc, etc.)

Dribble a light load, 20gr or so...of powder back into the bolster/chamber area. Make sure the threads are clear of powder, and replace the nipple lightly.

Reseat the ball/ramrod piece onto the powder. This is very important.... RESEAT the projectile onto the powder. You dont want air between the powder and ball.

Cap, and fire into a safe location where you can recover the parts.

Some muzzleloaders have a small screw below the nipple that can be removed for dribbling in powder and cleaning. That would be a better way than trying to screw the nipple back in with powder in the threads...
This method has worked for me several times..
RipT

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version