Armory, Self Defense, And EDC > Black Powder and Primitive Weapons

Black Powder Revolvers

<< < (2/2)

RipTombstone:
Ok guys. I compete with these mysterious things. Heres a little info.

I have had 1 chainfire in 20 years of shooting them, and it was last year our of a Starr revolver. I make my own wonderwads, which I use instead of grease over the ball. I ran out, and instead of putting some grease on in its place, I had a 2 round chainfire. No damage to the gun, my hand, or anything else. It did sound a little different, but not really louder, and recoil felt the same. It was kind of 2 quick impulses of power when it went. Anyway, grease or wonder wads over the ball is a good idea.

Also, make sure that the caps fit on the nipples. Chainfires can also come from the nipple end, and with wrong caps, they tend to fall off. I ended up buying aftermarket nipples from Treso. They use a Remington #10 cap, and I have not had one fall off since switching.

The Remington is a stronger design than the Colt, but does foul up quicker due to the very small cylinder pin and not much room for lube. It is easy to remove the cylinder and swap with the Remington. The grip frames feel a little bit longer for me as well, but that is a personal preference.

The Pietta (most Cabelas guns are Pietta) 1851 and 1860 in .44 are the same frame. My favorite easy swap is an 1860 with a 51 barrel. The 51 barrel is lighter, and just a hair shorter, but the 60 has a longer grip frame. Makes it handle like a much shorter revolver, while still having the extra length/velocity of the longer barrel. The Colt points very naturally for me, and is quick to clean when you take off the barrel and cylinder and drop it in the sink.
RipT (Will continue.)

RipTombstone:
For max loads in both my Remingtons and my Colt .44s, I use 30 gr of 2F or 3F. 3F will give you a little more zip, as it burns more efficiently due to its smaller granule.
For my .36s, I shoot about 22-25 max, but dont shoot them much.

Mine are quite capable of taking rabbits and squirrels, and I have no doubt that in an emergency situation, I could take a deer at close range with a well placed shot. I would use my Walker for that duty though.

For .44 roundball ammo, most instruction books call for .452, but I have been using .454 in all of mine with good success. Basically if it loads easy, and shaves a ring of lead off the ball as you load it, you are probably sized right. For .36, it is .375.
If you cast your own, only use soft lead, no linotype or wheelweight. You will break the loading lever trying to get the ball in. Trust me on this.... :-[
Any other questions, feel free to ask.
RipT

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version