Armory, Self Defense, And EDC > Black Powder and Primitive Weapons

Black Powder Revolvers

(1/2) > >>

scrappy:
Anyone want to provide guidance on Black Powder revolvers?  I'm thinking of getting one.  Looking at what Cabela's has on-line.  I like the 1851s, because the cylinder can be changed without tools (according to the Cabela's description).  I like the 1858s, because the top strap just seems like a more sturdy tool.  I want steal frame, not brass, because the brass frames apparently can't handle regular use of full loads.  I don't know much more than that.

Mr. Bill:
I've got an 1858 Remington replica.  (Which I have still never fired with black powder!  I put a conversion cylinder in it -- uses .45 Colt cowboy ammo -- and I like the way it shoots.  You'd think that old fashioned style grip would be clumsy, but it actually makes the gun very easy to handle.  Still gotta do a bit of gunsmithing to get that conversion cylinder working right, though.)

Anyway, FYI the cylinder in the 1858 is easily removable without tools.

That exhausts my expertise on the subject. 8)

Schmidt:
I got a Confederate Navy Colt 45 for Christmas. It's like holding a little cannon in my hands. I love it ;D.

Being a black powder revolver, it is relegated to the realm of amusement guns, not really having the normal hunting and defense utility. It takes about two minutes to load and sometimes jams when the percussion caps get stuck between the frame and the cylinder. Jamming isn't as big of an issue because the gun is just for fun.

sgtgrogg:
if you buy one that does not come with spare cylinders, you should have a gunsmith check the timing on the new cylinders(do this even if it does). Also make sure you put some kind of lube on top of the bullets prior to firing. "chain fires", when all chamber fire at once, SUCK

scrappy:

--- Quote from: sgtgrogg on June 16, 2010, 06:52:28 AM ---if you buy one that does not come with spare cylinders, you should have a gunsmith check the timing on the new cylinders(do this even if it does). Also make sure you put some kind of lube on top of the bullets prior to firing. "chain fires", when all chamber fire at once, SUCK

--- End quote ---

I've wondered exactly what is the outcome of a chain fire.  I assume it destroys the gun.  Does it also force you to learn to write with your left hand?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version