Author Topic: I'm not sure I did this right...  (Read 4582 times)

Offline RobertG

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
I'm not sure I did this right...
« on: July 24, 2012, 04:37:45 PM »
Hi everybody!
So this is my attempt at a garden. The plants that are established, brussels sprouts and sweet potatoes are from transplants. I have also planted broccoli, spinach, and carrots. They don't seem to be growing. In the bed on the upper left, Ive got carrots and broccoli that are just starting to sprout. Next to that I seeded broccoli and carrots and haven't gotten anything. In the bed with the brussels sprouts I seeded spinach and some other varieties of brussels sprouts, and haven't seen anything progress. The only thing that seems to be doing ok are the sweet potatoes. I wanted to do a mix of companion planting and biointensive, but I did not double dig. (is that my problem?  :-[ )
I added some store bought cow manure compost, mainly because the pile I'm making isn't cooking very good.

Full view of garden.

Sweet potatoes

Brussels sprouts

The little bed that didn't  :o

Oh yea and I had some wascally rabbits eating the leaves I think. I sprayed some hot pepper water on them last night. Hopefully that will help deter them.
Any thoughts or input would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you!  ;D
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 04:48:14 PM by RobertG »

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
Re: I'm not sure I did this right...
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2012, 04:43:45 PM »
I have no idea where you are, but my guess is one of the states that has been super hot... Sweet Potatoes LOVE that and Broc.. HATES that...

Cedar

Offline RobertG

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2012, 04:49:13 PM »
I have no idea where you are, but my guess is one of the states that has been super hot... Sweet Potatoes LOVE that and Broc.. HATES that...

Cedar

Yea I'm in North Carolina, bout an hour north of Charlotte.

Offline Nicodemus

• HooHa Man! AKA Docs Whipping Boy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Wake up and smell the cat food n your bank account
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2012, 05:15:12 PM »
Like Cedar said, some things grow well in the heat and some things don't. I planted a few things this year as a goof, knowing full well they should have been planted for fall, just to see what would happen. My cauliflower looked about like your broccoli there and the lettuce went straight from cute little wad of leaves to bolting tower of lame. ;D

Apparently carrots are a little fussy about soil temperatures to sprout quickly. It took my carrots more than 20 days to germinate

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2012, 05:24:25 PM »
Apparently carrots are a little fussy about soil temperatures to sprout quickly. It took my carrots more than 20 days to germinate

70F soil temps to germinate. If you have ANY clay soil, plant radishes with them to break the soil or the carrots can't emerge.

Cedar

Offline RobertG

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2012, 06:40:37 PM »
With the things I planted is it possible that they will wait out the heat? I was hoping to have a fall garden. And according to the extension office in my area, I planted in the time frame for all I planted. Radishes are going in the ground in the covered beds along with cabbage, cauliflower, and cucumbers.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2012, 08:13:02 PM »
My guess is they had enough moisture to germinate and not enough to thrive. I would not hold my breath for any to come up, but it wouldn't surprise me if they did. I would consider them write-off's really... sorry to say  :(

Cedar

Offline RobertG

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2012, 08:23:04 PM »
I've been watering all of them twice a day, maybe almost over watering. In any case I'll let them hang out if they grow sweet!! If they don't, lesson learned for the spring planting. Would it be cheating if I try some store bought organic fertilizer?

Offline Frugal Upstate

• Dedicated Contributor
  • aka Jenn Fowler and Jenn @ Frugal Upstate ;)
    • Frugal Upstate
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2012, 05:04:22 AM »
Robert-if you are trying for a fall garden with crops like broccoli, cabbage, lettuce etc...do you have somewhere inside where you can set up some lights and start the seeds inside?  The. You can bring them along in the cooler temperatures inside for a month or so before transplanting them outside when the temps are a bit better in your yard.  I'm way north of you but that's what I'm attempting this year for a fall garden.

Don't get discouraged!  Gardening is a learning experience every single year.  Just keep collecting info from your local cooperative extension and taking books out of the library and most of all exactly what you are doing--trying it!

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Don't Give Up Your Keys
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2012, 08:58:26 AM »
Based on my experience in zone 7 in N GA, which appears to also be your zone:

If you keep the seeds shaded and damp you might get lucky use cardboard, shade cloth, old sheets whatever you can find that keeps the hot sun off. Check daily and once more have germinated remove and keep watered.  It will be uphill but you can pull it off.

if the broccoli and carrots come up you will probably do OK with them by the time fall rolls around. Same with brussel sprouts although they can get a head start in July and will grow in heat; just not worth a darn taste wise until it cools in the fall.

Offline RobertG

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2012, 09:29:03 AM »
Thank you for the advice!
Ill definitely see if I can shade what Ive got now. And hopefully it will cool down a little soon.
On a side note, anybody know of a good rabbit deterrent? I don't want to shoot all of the local rabbits with my bow... :D