Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > Medical Needs and First Aid

Honey for wound care

<< < (2/11) > >>

Cedar:
I was a veterinary technician for 22 years so of course after I didn't work for one there was a stray cat which showed up that recently had kittens and she had severe mastitis and and had necrotic tissue (and loss) over two huge sections of her mammary system on both sides. Thinking back on it, I think she lost 5 of 8 nipples. I do medieval studies and knew the Romans soldiers used honey for instant energy as well as wound packing, so I thought I would give it a try on this stray cat since I did not want to spend $500 on her.

Debriding the necrotic tissue with hemostadts and then cleaning with diluted Betadine solution, I then did a honey pack over the top of the open, covered with a Kotex pad and then Vetwrapped it.

Although I could have used Pen-G antibiotic on her, I chose not to for a couple reasons. I did not want to kill off the good flora in her system and I also wanted to see what the honey would do on it's own. If things had not improved I would have. But honey I knew had antimicrobial action against a broad spectrum of bacteria and fungus. If it was good enough for those Romans, it ought to be at least good enough for the cat.

I changed the bandage and applied more honey twice a a day. It was slow going as over half the cats mammary system was pretty much GONE, but I could see improvement on it daily. It healed in a matter of 4 weeks. Had it been less severe of a wound and not through so many layers of tissue well into muscle, I know it would have healed alot faster. Since that time I have used honey for packing wounds on horses and goats and did not use any other antibiotics although again, I could have as I always have it on hand in the refrigerator. From my experience, I do believe if there was similar wounds and I could test 'normal medical products' on one and honey on the other, I think the honey treated one would be the one which healed the fastest.

The only human I have used honey on has been me this last week. I had day surgery 14 days ago, then ripped open my suture line open the day after I had the sutures taken out and it totally ripped wide open (which is why I am here on the sofa doing so many posts these last 2 days) and instead of going to get the edges refreshed and resutured, I have chosen not to as I am pretty sure they would just rip out again. So out came the honey and the telfa pads. Since I can't actually see the location very well, I can't see 100% how it is healing, but I know it is healing, it is not infected and what minimal of it I can see is looking pretty good.

So yeah.. I would recommend it. It never goes bad if it is properly cured by the bees (some people harvest too early).. they pulled some out of King Tut's tomb 2,000 years later and it was still edible. So give it a try if you are curious. If you have a small wound, use a Q-tip to apply it, otherwise on a large wound like the cat or horse, you can put it into a 20 cc syringe without a needle and squeeze it in. In the beginning I was just flipping the top on the honey dispenser and squeezing it onto the cat.

Cedar

annestacey:
Just this week I burned my elbow on a hot crockpot in the kitchen.  I thought it was no big deal but it kept stinging so I figured I better put something on it.  I put the manuka honey on it with a band-aid and the next morning, it was all healed up and no pain at all.  I also use it on my dog when he gets skin flare-ups due to his allergies.  It works great for him as well.  I bought two tubes of it.  One for the medicine cabinet and the other is in my bugout bag first aid kit.

welshman:
don't know that much about honey for a wound but my grandfather was a firm believer in coal oil (kerosene)on a wound, cut or puncture.Still don't know why it worked

Gadget:
Sorry for hijacking the thread, but like Welshman posted, petroleum solvents work great on cuts. WD40 is one of the best due to the smell, but gasoline, kerosene, diesel fuel, etc. are in the same family. My daughter had a cut on her hand from a wreck that she couldn't keep a dressing on. I had her spray WD40 on it and it stopped bleeding immediately and quit hurting. I use it all the time. By the way, it doesn't sting either.

Robinelli:
I'm confused, will ANY honey work for this purpose?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version