Author Topic: natural remedies?  (Read 4938 times)

Offline elcoyote

• Gypsy Prepper Squad
  • Survivor
    • Crap! I'm An Adult!
natural remedies?
« on: December 17, 2010, 11:32:41 PM »
Hey, once again, not sure if this is the right area, couldn't find one that "fit".

I'm trying to come up with a list of common ailments and natural and "home" remedies that work for them. I'm thinking simple things like nausea, headaches, simple aches and pains, etc. What are your favorite home remedies to problems?

Mine are:

headaches/ aches and pains: willow bark tea. Like aspirin but much gentler on the system.

amanadoo

Re: natural remedies?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2010, 07:53:28 AM »
http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?board=8.0

^^There's the "field medicine" board, which seems like it's become the forum catch-all for all medical discussion, not just first aid type stuff. I need to go through that one myself!

And a while back, I believe there was a thread here in the ladies department about using yogurt to combat yeast that you might want to check out.

All that put out there, for me recently I've been adhering to the principal that health begins in the gut. When I get a headache now, the first thing I reach for is mint tea and a little baking soda in warm water. It's amazing how many other things having a sour tummy affects. I also eat a cup each of yogurt and homemade broth a day to maintain gut health. Short of all that, the next thing is usually a good nights sleep. So I regularly drink catnip tea to help me get to sleep (combining with Dr Bachs rescue remedy if I need extra help getting my mind to slow down).

A heating pad can also feel like a miracle sometimes!

Offline DaiseyMae

• Prepper
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2011, 09:33:28 PM »
http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?board=8.0

^^There's the "field medicine" board, which seems like it's become the forum catch-all for all medical discussion, not just first aid type stuff. I need to go through that one myself!

And a while back, I believe there was a thread here in the ladies department about using yogurt to combat yeast that you might want to check out.

I also eat a cup each of yogurt and homemade broth a day to maintain gut health. Short of all that, the next thing is usually a good nights sleep. So I regularly drink catnip tea to help me get to sleep (combining with Dr Bachs rescue remedy if I need extra help getting my mind to slow down).
A heating pad can also feel like a miracle sometimes!

Chamomile tea is good for a headache was well as relaxing you.
Catnip tea is good too.
L. acidophilus is what is in the yougurt. you can also buy this in a capsule form in health food stores or in some grocery stores even now. Good to have when you get through a course of antibiotics.
There are numerous herbs and essential oils that also have a calming effect.
When I feel stressed, I like to use Bergamot and patchoulli essential oil drops on my pillow.

Offline Ohio Woman

• Survivor
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2011, 12:22:24 AM »
I would like to add that for women, Motherwort is a MUST! I have been amazed by it's effect on my preteen with the roller coaster emotions. The extract is bitter, but after the 1 time using it, she knows the relief it gives in minutes. Calms her frazzled nerves, angery outbursts and other moody moments. Great for PMS or other emotional swing. Comforting too. I am growing this herb just because of the effect I saw it had on her. Easy to make the tinctures from it and easy to grow in the garden. Great for those panic moments too.
I add this to your common ailments since these mood swing moments can cause headaches {stress headaches I guess} and this would do the trick for us. Takes away the headache and eases away the cause of the surge.
I have used it but tried to not use too much since it can go quick and seems to sell out quick at our local herb supply {prefer to buy from a place i KNOW the product has not been sitting exposed to light and such for long periods}. I would add this as a must have for common ailments, in my humble opinion.

Offline krickie

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2011, 06:03:10 AM »
Lemon balm is my personal favorite for a natural remedy herb.   It's helpful for all the things that I have problems with - anxiety, insomnia, headaches, and indigestion.   I just brew it into a tea.  (It's a decent mosquito repellent too.)   It's also got some antibacterial properties and supposedly can be made into a salve for wounds, but I've never tried that.   I've also read about it being useful as an antiviral (for shingles, herpes, etc) and for bringing on a sweat to break a fever. 

I just love this herb.  It is so easy to grow (it grows like a weed, honestly), the smell is lovely, it has a nice mild taste....

It's also my favorite essential oil, though the EO is a bit pricey.....

Offline Fyrsprite

• Survivor
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2011, 12:01:54 AM »
White willow bark (dried) is great for pain relief of all sorts.  For flu season, wild cherry bark is good in teas and homemade cough syrups.  Ginger is good for motion sickness (in us, and in pets).  Peppermint is useful for stomach issues. 

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2011, 10:24:28 AM »
These are mine:

Crystalized Ginger - Nausea from morning sickness to the flu, to when you have to take prescribed drugs which make you feel yucky. I am never without it!

Cranberry Juice - Urinary Tract Infections

Tea Tree Essential Oil - ONLY 1 drop on ringworm once a day. I got a huge spot of ringworm on my arm from cattle a few years ago and OTC stuff wouldn't make it go away. The Tea Tree EO works.. but will make your skin scar if you use more than 1 drop.

Lemon Balm - Bee Stings if you do not have an allergy to bee stings. Otherwise it reduces swelling and pain.

Raspberry Leaf - Menstrual cramps

Lavender & Hops - Headaches. As a tea, just smelling the EO or a bath with it.

Ginger - Powdered in a hot bath/soak for sore muscles and joints

Catnip - Given to kids with ADDHD who had monsters in their dreams and couldn't sleep. They drank the tea but didn't like the taste, but were happy the 'monsters went away'.. so started to make it into no-bake oatmeal cookies. Also for headaches.

Eczema - Pumpkin seed oil - I had it for 9 years? Stuff from the doctor's office burned really bad and made it worse. Pumpkin seed oil daily for 3 months made it go away forever (thus far).

Cedar

Offline Halyna

• Prepper
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2011, 01:53:34 PM »
My mom's from 'the old country' in Eastern Europe.  She grew up in a tiny village and all they had were home remedies.  You'll probably cringe but I swear by her cure for a wheezing chest cold:
Scald 1 cup of mild with 2 tbsp butter (not margarine) and AT LEAST 1 huge clove garlic (the more the better).  Let that sit to hot enough to drink.  Then, hold you nose (if you have a cold like that you probably can't smell or taste anyway) and drink it all down right before bundling up to bed.  The next morning you will feel your chest clearing up. 
I'm telling you, this works. 

Offline Kayzonara

• Senior Survivalist
  • No power in the 'verse can stop me being cheerful
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2011, 07:51:38 AM »
I once read that Lambs Ear is supposed to be good for use as a bandage.

I can second raspberry leaf for cramps, peppermint for tummy trouble and chamomile to soothe the nerves.