Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > Amateur Radio Gear Reviews

Radio Portable Tactical carry system

<< < (2/4) > >>

Alan Georges:

--- Quote from: Carl on March 18, 2017, 06:28:14 AM ---There is a different option for some radios,but I think not as protective.

http://www.portablezero.com/index.html

--- End quote ---
Almost posted that one; it's the route I've taken.  The rails give decent side-bump protection for the faceplate knobs.  Between the rails and a well-fitting bag, it stows pretty safely into a pack.  The whole thing is well thought out and really well built.

I'm not so enthusiastic about their all-in-one radio & battery rigs.  The pre-sized battery compartment effectively marries your radio to that one battery standard.  In the case of the 857, that's a 4.5 AH NiMH battery, which is already pretty antiquated.

But the rails, those are good stuff.

Smurf Hunter:
I just received my April 2017 copy of QST magazine.  The Tac-Comm system is reviewed. That's a decent endorsement - not that Carl often leads us astray :)

Alan Georges:

--- Quote from: Smurf Hunter on March 18, 2017, 08:45:28 AM ---I just received my April 2017 copy of QST magazine.  The Tac-Comm system is reviewed. That's a decent endorsement - not that Carl often leads us astray :)

--- End quote ---
Picked mine up today and thought "Yeah that's Carl: a little ahead of the curve."

Carl:

--- Quote from: Alan Georges on March 18, 2017, 06:29:30 PM ---Picked mine up today and thought "Yeah that's Carl: a little ahead of the curve."

--- End quote ---

I have lots of time on my hands and with Ham radio and internet as my means of viewing the world ,I do look and read a lot to keep from 'cabin fever' and losing my mind. This is why I experiment with antennas and such to keep up my,and others,interest. There are few things I can do to keep life interesting and few things I can do alone as I spend most of my time. I just got my QST and tossed it in a chair till later,YOU brought the article to my attention even though I had already decided to add the protective carry case to my FT857D as I fear the knobs would not survive a case or backpack long and this "BOX" appears more protective than the 'ears' option of the other linked system.

Carl:
  I just received my TRC-1 in the mail and I am impressed with the workmanship and the product finish is very nice.
I am putting my Yaesu FT857D and LDG auto-tuner in the box but had a problem
as I noticed one of two sets of cover plate screws was not in the box...
  I just got off the phone with a very nice representative who made sure that I had the missing set of screws in the mail.
I couldn't ask for better service than that. I will post photos in a day or so as I get everything in place as my dexterity
really slows me down on such things as screws and such and I want to do this right as it does look so nice already
with just the radio in it now. I will try to get photos in a day or so.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version