Site Suggestions, Support and Resources > Fiction and Non-Fiction Books/Magazines

299 Days: The Preparation (Book One) - book discussion [SPOILER ALERT]

(1/19) > >>

Smurf Hunter:
I'm barely 1/3 through this book, but wanted to get this thread started as a place to have a discussion about the story.  There may be plot details revealed, so read at your own risk.

Otherwise, don't feel pressured to structure the conversation in any way.  We can talk about whatever is interesting or confusing.

Smurf Hunter:
I appreciate how the main character's life experiences are explained.  Too many books start out with the protagonist an assumed bad-ass tactical operator, and you've got no back story to validate it.  On the other extreme, some books feature Joe Sixpack who magically rises to the challenge just because the plot needed an underdog hero.  Neither is easy to relate to, and neither is instructional for the reader.

I feel Grant Matson is a legitimate character.  Even someone from the opposite political spectrum should be able to at least understand how/why he became the man he is.  I'm guessing this is deliberate by the author to give credibility to this bigger mission these books are focused on.

That's my biggest take away at this point.  I'm sure I'll return to nitpick technical stuff as I encounter it.  :)

Heavy G:

--- Quote from: smurf hunter on August 30, 2012, 10:36:47 AM ---
I feel Grant Matson is a legitimate character. 

--- End quote ---

Yep.  'Cause he's me.  In the books, you'll see Grant do stupid and cowardly things, and you'll see him worry about things that shouldn't matter.  Because that's real. 

You'll also see lots of smart, brave, and mentally tough things.  Because that's real too.

Prepper Press:
Smurf Hunter, a.k.a. Gargamel, if you enjoy the book(s), we'd really appreciate your honest review on Amazon and "liking" it on the site as well. This is the single biggest way you could help the series, to get people aware of the need to prep. Because remember, a prepared neighbor, is a good neighbor.

PP

cheryl1:
Maybe it's because I'm a girl, but the relationship between Grant and Lisa really bothered me. I felt so bad for Grant that he couldn't talk to his wife about his new outlook. I found myself rooting for the collapse mainly so that she would wake the f up before they got a divorce, or Grant went crazy. I really wanted to grab her by the shoulders and shake her! The fact that this frustration came through to the reader is part of what makes this a good book.

I hope this series takes off. I think some grasshoppers will still be uneasy with the large amount of food storage, but the warm-up to weapons was handled nicely. Especially Grant's thoughts on how if a group of men kicked in his door there was NO chance he could stop them. ( Why can't Lisa see that? *growl*)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version