Author Topic: How to Save your Cellphone  (Read 5240 times)

djturnz

How to Save your Cellphone
« on: October 21, 2008, 10:22:18 AM »
If you ever drop your phone in water, or get it wet:

DO NOT PUSH ANY BUTTONS, THIS INCLUDES TO POWER IT OFF!!!

Immediately remove the battery.

Place the phone and the battery in a ziploc bag with a couple desicant packs (small bag of beads that says do not eat and comes with your shoes)  Sometimes called Silica Gel on the pack.  This will help to draw the moisture out.  DO NOT TOUCH IT FOR 24 hours or more.

Unlike most items, pushing the power off button actually powers certain circuits to shut down the software.  Pulling the battery shuts it down instantly.  Electric circuits don't mind water too much unless they are energized.  That's when the corrosion starts, which is the problem with small electronics and water damage.

If you really want to give it a good chance, especially if the offending liquid is muddy, or soda/coffee.  Open the case and clean it with a toothbrush and distilled water.  Then put the pieces in the baggy with the desicant packs. 

The battery might be ruined regardless.  The battery on most cellphones also have some circuitry inside that is used to regulate current as well as tell the phone (some manufacturers) that the battery is the correct one.  That is why some phones (especially older Nokias) don't like the aftermarket chinese battery that you can buy at the mall.

Also, if you are in a place with very little signal, your battery will die much faster than if you have a good strong signal.  So if there is no signal, shutting the phone off while it is useless anyway will preserve battery life.

millerized1

Re: How to Save your Cellphone
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2008, 10:30:11 AM »
Doesn't work if you drop your digital camera in a freshly filled urinal :(

Don't ask.  Seriously. Don't ask.

GroundPounder

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2008, 06:20:04 PM »
Had a co-worker drop one in a port-a-potty.  It was stained blue for a while.  Yuck!

If you dont have silica you can put it in a bowl of rice.  Rice will help pull the moisture out too.

Offline ColdHaven

• Coldylocks
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • How about a scary crow little fire?
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2008, 06:22:36 PM »
Doesn't work if you drop your digital camera in a freshly filled urinal :(

Don't ask.  Seriously. Don't ask.

LMAO!!!  :D :D :D

Good info. I never thought about using silica to do that. I just figured it was TKO'd upon submersion.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 06:24:23 PM by ColdHaven »

blooloo

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2008, 08:15:30 PM »
Almost anything electronic can survive being dunked in water. The trick is not to power something up until it's completely dry. I work in electronics manufacturing and we used dishwashers to wash circuit boards after wave soldering. Most electronic components are capable of handling 80C (even under power) with no problems. Many manufacturers use a hot room to stress test components during their first hours of operation...
If something gets wet, remove the batteries ASAP! Don't power it up. Dry as much as you can with a towel or cloth. Pay attention to any foam or the like that may be in a battery compartment. You can set your oven to the lowest setting it will go and bake whatever gets wet for an hour or so... That usually does the trick. BE CAREFUL not to get the oven too warm or plastic will melt, wires will melt, etc... BUT, an oven set to WARM (or about 100 to 125F) shouldn't be a problem. OR, set it in a sunny window or the dashboard of your car. DO NOT use a hairdryer!! Rice or gel/desiccant packs are a good idea, but, they may take a while and they may not have the capacity to get enough water out. Electronic components are surprisingly resilient. LCD's are more sensitive, but, some will handle up to 65C. The trick is low and slow...
As for any blue staining or funny smells, well, you're on your own there. :)

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2008, 03:22:42 PM »
This thread really went down the toilet...

djturnz

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2008, 09:58:37 AM »
I too work for an electronic manufacturer.  We use a board washer that is essentially a big dishwasher.  It is mainly used to clean flux residue after the boards have been through Wave solder or Selective solder.

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2008, 01:53:15 AM »
I ditched my cellphone about 3 months ago.  Right at the top of the list of the best things I ever did, I don't miss it.  One less thing to carry & several less people I have to give a crap about caring whether or not they can get hold of me.

My philosophy now is, if I want to talk to you I'll call you.

I wonder how people lived before they had all these conveniences? **rhetorical question**

GroundPounder

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2008, 07:38:13 AM »
I envy you!  My job requires it.  It is amazing how everyone is expected to be available at all times.  For a while I could not get reception out at my rural property but unfortunately they recently put a tower out there :(

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2008, 12:32:21 AM »
I envy you!  My job requires it.  It is amazing how everyone is expected to be available at all times.  For a while I could not get reception out at my rural property but unfortunately they recently put a tower out there :(

How true. 

I went thru withdrawals for a while, it was an odd feeling for sure. 

I was in EMS for several years & was always on call, whether for the ambulance or the ER, there was always someone that had to know where I was & if I was available.  I'm amazed I waited so long to finally get rid of it.  I'm also a HAM radio operator so it's a little weird to not want to always be available.

Offline meancoyote

• Prepper
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2008, 09:57:26 AM »
I too need to keep a cell phone for work, after getting a few wet I got one from verizon that is water resistant. I have gotten it very wet while using it, and it still works. http://news.cnet.com/8301-10784_3-6127545-7.html

jeremya

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2008, 12:07:18 PM »
I've heard kitty litter works to draw the moisture out as well.

I don't mind my cell phone most of the time. Like a lot of people I am required to have one for work so they pay for it which seems fair.
Of course there are times when I wish I could just shut it off. :)

-- Jeremy