Armory, Self Defense, And EDC > Firearm Self Defense

Reloads for Self Defense Good Idea?

(1/4) > >>

9mmMaster:
Yes Yes Yes I know everyone says don't carry re loaded ammo for self defense. I've heard it you'll get raked over the coals in court. You could be painted into the uni-bomber in court. And on and on.

Question 1: Has anyone every actually been prosecuted for reloading there own ammunition?
For that matter has anyone know of a case where it's ever even been proposed???
I do not.

Question 2: Could there be good reasons for the use of hand loaded ammo for carry???
Reasons even the average jury of 12 would understand ?

Chemsoldier:
There are some cases apparently.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/reference-how-forum/81488-cases-where-handloads-caused-problems-court.html

BLUF:  GSR is probably the most likely source of problems.  The claim that you are developing fang face-ripper bullets is easily defeated through the use of expert witnesses (which you will have to pay for), unless of course the prosecution can present evidence that you do want to do ghoulish things with your bullets such as you posting a YouTube video claiming that you are developing fang face-ripper bullets.

I guess the question is why would you want to take the chance?  Find a commercial loading you like for carry and reverse engineer it to load your own practice ammo if you have the desire.  I don't know about anyone else, but reputable factory self-defense ammo I have purchased have always been more reliable than my own creations....though I will admit I dabble mostly.

I can't think of a good reason to carry hand loads aside from "you can."  For that matter, after you develop your pet load you can get a company to run a bunch of it as "custom factory ammo" so you have someone that can vouch for the loading.  http://customcartridge.com/ is just one of many I found on the intertubes.

never_retreat:
Keep your mouth shut. Anyone asks, I got that ammo at a yard sale I think.

trekker111:
The issue isn't getting prosecuted for using handloads, it is the lawyers claiming the ammo was purposely made to be more lethal, damaging, minimize gsr, etc, than regular ammo.

If you are charged the gun and your remaining ammo will be sent to a lab where the ammo will be found to handloads, not because they are looking for it but because they are thorough.

Expert witnesses usually start in the $5000+ range per trial for simple testimony, what does a box of factory self defense ammo cost?

Saying you don't remember can leave an opening for it to be claimed to be hiding something. Saying you bought it at a yard sale or from someone else can be spun into the same as the first paragraph.

never_retreat:

--- Quote from: trekker111 on December 25, 2016, 09:58:38 PM ---The issue isn't getting prosecuted for using handloads, it is the lawyers claiming the ammo was purposely made to be more lethal, damaging, minimize gsr, etc, than regular ammo.

If you are charged the gun and your remaining ammo will be sent to a lab where the ammo will be found to handloads, not because they are looking for it but because they are thorough.

Expert witnesses usually start in the $5000+ range per trial for simple testimony, what does a box of factory self defense ammo cost?

Saying you don't remember can leave an opening for it to be claimed to be hiding something. Saying you bought it at a yard sale or from someone else can be spun into the same as the first paragraph.

--- End quote ---
What about commercially re-manufactured ammo? Its going to have the same signs of being reloaded. I can be bought over the counter in many stores.

Personally I have factory ammo in my house guns. But I would not see it as a problem. Your smart and not talking to anyone you lawyer is.
What was in the shell is really a mute point. (Assuming you not shooting 12 ga shells full of dimes or other crazy crap)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version