The TSP Marketplace > MURS-Radio.com

Another newbie question on equipment

(1/1)

tittiger:
Hi!

I hope this is not being asked for the 500th time but I did not see a FAQ here - so here goes......

What   radio technologies are available for those that want to communicate  10-15 miles from homestead to homestead
without any type of repeater?  The terrain is small rolling hills of SW Missouri  I would say no more than 500' in elevation from
base to hill top.

Is there anything out there that is reasonable priced?

TIA
Joe

rob_ma:

--- Quote from: tittiger on March 29, 2011, 11:27:22 PM ---Hi!

I hope this is not being asked for the 500th time but I did not see a FAQ here - so here goes......

What   radio technologies are available for those that want to communicate  10-15 miles from homestead to homestead
without any type of repeater?  The terrain is small rolling hills of SW Missouri  I would say no more than 500' in elevation from
base to hill top.

Is there anything out there that is reasonable priced?

TIA
Joe

--- End quote ---

There are two ways to obtain that range:

1) Elevation - get your antenna up high enough so that your signal overcomes local obstructions.

2) Use lower frequencies - Lower frequencies tend to bend better over terrain. CB could possibly work if the noise level was low. Ham radio (6 or 10 meters) is another alternative. There is also a commercial band between the two ham bands as well (license is required).

- Rob

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version