Author Topic: What are you brewing?  (Read 158486 times)

Offline Mr Ant

• Prepper
Re: What are you brewing?
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2009, 10:21:36 PM »
Just started a batch of nut brown ale. My spare bathroom smells like beer. It's a beautiful thing!  :)

Offline AZCeltic formerly occeltic

• Survivalist Mentor
  • The Kilted One
    • Occeltic's Blog
« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2009, 02:04:26 PM »
Not only does this thread encourage me to break out my brewing gear, it makes me mighty thirsty! Time to head downstairs for some cold refreshment. Quick question: Is there a good home brewable beer that will keep well at unrefrigerated temperatures? I know there are some who drink beer this way, especially in Europe, so there must be a method for keeping it fresh.

Angry.mitro

« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2009, 10:54:23 PM »
apricot mead and a juniper berry porter

Offline jetta2337

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2009, 08:33:16 AM »
Not only does this thread encourage me to break out my brewing gear, it makes me mighty thirsty! Time to head downstairs for some cold refreshment. Quick question: Is there a good home brewable beer that will keep well at unrefrigerated temperatures? I know there are some who drink beer this way, especially in Europe, so there must be a method for keeping it fresh.
The saying goes. The darker the beer the warmer it should be served. But I have found that any beer down on a basement floor or cellar floor will have a chill to it that I can drink. Unless it is that bud, miller, coors crap.

Offline mxitman

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Entrepreneur/HVAC Mechanic/Electrician
    • Heezy
« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2009, 11:57:23 AM »
I just finished up 2 batches i did back to back, Thats allot of beer my wife said..lol  ;D Uhh yeah I'm sure it will last a long time ;). I did a red ale and a stout that I'm going to put into a keg and serve it on a nitrogen tap, i'm pretty excited about that, I wanted to do it last year but never did. I'm a Commercial HVAC mechanic and we use nitrogen all the time so I have all the gear for it already... I'll let you know how it turns out!

Offline AZCeltic formerly occeltic

• Survivalist Mentor
  • The Kilted One
    • Occeltic's Blog
« Reply #35 on: December 28, 2009, 09:51:30 PM »
Dark beer is good, dark beer is our friend. It seems that I've had a Guinness or two that wasn't all that cold yet was still refreshing. I guess I was wondering if refrigerated beer lasts longer than non refrigerated beer. There must be an optimum storage temperature that will keep it fresh. You know, now that I think of it, I see cartons of beer stacked up in the grocery store. Of course it is usually in the mid 50's in our grocery store. ;D

Crux Move

« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2010, 02:40:44 AM »
Where can I get a good recipe for Blackberry Mead.  I live in the NW and will soon have a plethora of Blackberries and Jam, Jelly, and syrup i got down, so mead is then next logical step.

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2010, 07:41:40 AM »
Blackberry mead sounds really good.  I came across the following recipe that sounds good, but I've never made one so can't really say.

Yeast: Lalvin K1-V1116 Yeast Starter: no Batch Size (Gallons): 5 Original Gravity: 1.098 Final Gravity: 0.998

5 gallon batch

First, freeze 8 pounds blackberries (fresh preferrable). More is okay too I would think.

12 lbs Clover honey
water to 5 gallons

I pasteurized at near-boil temps while skimming foam off the top, about 15 minutes.

9/7/08: Added 4.5 teaspoon yeast nutrient, pitched yeast (Lalvin K1-V1116). OG=1.098
week 1: 1.064, added 1 tspn nutrient
week 2: 1.026
week 3: 1.008. Racked to secondary onto 7 pounds of thawed & crushed blackberries, plus 1.5 tspn nutrient. Topped off to 5 gallons with water.
week 4: 0.998, racked off blackberries to secondary.
week 8: racked to tertiary for clearing.

Bottled on 12/6/2008. I added another pound of crushed blackberries at bottling (soaked in the bottling bucket for .5 hours in a bag).

For still: Add stabilizer, wait one week, add 1 cup honey, bottle.
For sparkling: Add 2/3 cup honey, bottle immediately (beer or champagne bottles).

I just tried the sparkling mead (melomel) after 1 month in the bottle, and it's very, very good. Light carbonation, good blackberry and honey aroma. Color is light pink. Highly recommended. This went over really, really well at a NYE party!

I have a local bee keeper and I'd like to get started keeping bees, but I need to get approval from the wife.  So should get started with mead.

Offline OKGranny

• TSP Pooper-Scooper
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Death from the knees down
« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2010, 01:34:28 PM »
That blackberry mead sounds delicious.

Offline javabrewer

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #39 on: March 26, 2010, 02:17:32 PM »
Tonight I'm going to bust out my Mr. Brew that I got from my wife for Christmas.  I don't expect much out of it but it should be interesting at least.  My last (and only) batch of brew was about 12 years ago and had so much alcohol I got tipsy off of two bottles.  Or maybe I was just not conditioned, considering I hadn't gone through college yet...

Offline mckeyes

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #40 on: March 29, 2010, 07:35:03 AM »
kegged up a vanilla stout over the weekend and my bourbon stout will be ready next weekend.

Offline Mr Ant

• Prepper
« Reply #41 on: March 29, 2010, 06:24:52 PM »
kegged up a vanilla stout over the weekend and my bourbon stout will be ready next weekend.

I love a good Vanilla stout. That may have to be one of my next batches. I just bottled a wheat ale that was made with lime peel and coriander. It sounded like it would make a good summer beer. Fingers crossed.

Offline jetta2337

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2010, 11:09:14 AM »
Blackberry mead sounds really good.  I came across the following recipe that sounds good, but I've never made one so can't really say.

I have a local bee keeper and I'd like to get started keeping bees, but I need to get approval from the wife.  So should get started with mead.
Here is the base of what I use and how I do it.

Making the must for the beginning mead maker
12 pounds honey
12 pounds fruit
Yeast
yeast Activator
With a touch of Irish Moss.
1 lemon
Sugar

•   Boil five gallons of water
•   Let cool down to 185 degrees DO NOT BOIL AFTER THIS POINT!!!!!
•   Add honey
•   Stir in honey then add some irish moss
•   Take out crap that comes to top with fine strainer
•   add fruit
•   Squeeze the juice of one lemon into a measuring cup, remove any seeds, and add it to the must.
•   let the temp hang out around 175 for 15 minutes DON’T BOIL!
•   Cool down to 80 degrees
•   Put yeast nutrient in fermenter add must
•   Add 5 teaspoons of sugar

Offline oley454

• Prepper
« Reply #43 on: March 31, 2010, 06:32:31 PM »
Brewed an Irish Red Ale and it turned out awesome.  A lot better than the English bitter I tried three months ago.

Offline cjhuey

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #44 on: April 02, 2010, 09:06:57 PM »
I bottled a Amber Ale with iced oatmeal cookies last week.  I brewed a IPA this evening.  I plan on brewing a barley wine at the end of the month and ageing it until Christmas.

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #45 on: April 03, 2010, 02:51:23 PM »
In January 2003, I brewed up a apple cherry melomel.  I used Welch's apple cherry juice concentrate.  I bottled it in January 2004.  I don't know what happened to the other couple bottles, but I opened the last one that I had.  It turned out pretty tasty.  I've heard that meads need to mellow for a couple of years, I think that 6 years was plenty of time to mellow out.

I'll be contacting the local bee keeper to see what he will charge me for some honey.

Offline wolfracer

• Prepper
« Reply #46 on: April 03, 2010, 03:57:58 PM »
I've got a english brown ale in the fermentor right now. Need to bottle it this weekend. Maybe tommorrow.

Offline Kellib

• Survivor
    • homestead101
« Reply #47 on: May 02, 2010, 05:04:30 PM »
Just started our first batch of Strawberry wine, should be ready in about 6-8 months. A long wait and while we wait we will be drinking our apple wine, plum wine, and wheat beer among others. mmmmmm I see a great summer ahead  ;) ;)

Offline oley454

• Prepper
« Reply #48 on: May 14, 2010, 05:18:23 PM »
Brewing a pale ale on Sunday, third time brewing hope it turns out like my second batch and not the first

Offline bkt

• Prepper
« Reply #49 on: May 15, 2010, 09:13:10 AM »
I'm just getting back into brewing, but I kicked off a batch of mead (plain, orange blossom) a week and a half ago.

Offline liftsboxes

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Quit Whining
« Reply #50 on: May 15, 2010, 10:00:19 AM »
A plug for my friends at www.manchesterbrewing.com

They are starting up their School of Brewing again.  If you're in New England and want a strong class to get you started making decent quantities of brew, this might be a worthwhile course.  His message follows:

Subject: Return of the School of Beer

Hi!

We're starting up the School of Beer at Manchester Brewing in Concord, NH again, and we've got some great new stuff to tell you about! We've built a mill, and are working on a carbonator and cooler that you can make for much, much cheaper than you can buy. Plus, we've found a new start up company that makes brewhouses in the 2 barrel size, for so much less than the big guys, that you might not even NEED to worry about financing!

Plus the syllabus now includes instructions about how to build your glycol system, and info about making your own kegwasher.

We'll cover all the equipment you'll need, plus federal, local, and state regs to watch for, and show you how to design your own microbrewery or brewpub. There's information about sourcing and financing too, of course, as well as an introduction to lots of the brewing equipment you'll encounter.

You get the syllabus and much of the information on a USB drive, so it's easy to access when you need it.

The class will be held on May 29th, Saturday, from 9:00 to 4:00 pm and includes lunch. There will be plenty of time to answer your questions, as usual. The class is held at Manchester Brewing, 119 Old Turnpike Road 3G, Concord, NH. The cost is $415 and that covers you and one partner. We accept credit cards via Paypal, the email address to pay is brewer@manchesterbrewing.com and the Registration Deadline is May 27th.

There will be another session on June 19, Saturday, if you can't make the May class. Class sizes are limited. I'm sending this to our Facebook members just in case you're interested.  Please email any questions!

Cheers,

brewer@manchesterbrewing.com

Offline operator

• Prepper
« Reply #51 on: May 18, 2010, 08:22:25 AM »
I've got four 5 gallon jugs of wine going right now.  I couldn't wait for the fresh fruits so I tried e few new recipes.  Brown Sugar and raisins.  Ginger root.  Cornmeal.  And I did pick some dandelions and put some strawberries and oranges with them.  The first three are working in the jugs with airlocks set.  The dandelion is settling now.  I'm going to turn the cornmeal and brownsugar into brandy (at least half of it).  Got seven jugs empty waiting for some fruit to get ripe.

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #52 on: May 18, 2010, 08:43:36 AM »
Cornmeal???  Never heard of doing that.

Offline operator

• Prepper
« Reply #53 on: May 18, 2010, 09:00:36 AM »
Edit by moderator;
Specific discussions of distilling alcohol for human consumption are in violation of the Terms of Service of The Survival Podcast Forum, as that activity is illegal in the US.
Thanks, HoC
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 09:20:14 AM by Hare of Caerbannog »

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #54 on: May 31, 2010, 12:38:13 PM »
I have a Rauchbier in the brew kettle right now.  I know it is out of season, but I've never been one to stick to that stuff.  Although I will likely make a Belgian Wit in the next couple weeks, as soon as the Rauchbier is out of the primary.

Offline chrisdm8

• Senior Survivalist
    • GizmoDirt - Foodstand
« Reply #55 on: July 17, 2010, 08:53:55 PM »
Just bottled my first batch of wine ... 21 bottles of maple sap wine. Sap was from our trees during maple syrup season. It tastes pretty good ... we'll see what happens with some aging.

Also started my first batch of beer ... I got a Dunkelweizen kit from the local home-brew store.

Offline javabrewer

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #56 on: November 13, 2010, 09:59:47 PM »
I have a 5 gallon batch of raspberry melomel in the secondary right now.  Going to wait almost another two months before bottling and will probably rack it twice in the meantime.

Also, I just started a batch of American Brown Ale.  It's an extract brew with some grain adjuncts and it smelled delicious when boiling the wort.  It took 3 gallons of cold water and 20 lbs of ice in a water bath to cool it down to 80 degrees in 45 minutes so I'm pretty sure my next investment will be an immersion chiller.

Offline mckeyes

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #57 on: November 15, 2010, 06:10:06 AM »
Brewed a double batch of pumpkin ale yesterday for the holidays. Entire house smelled like pumpkin and beer.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #58 on: November 20, 2010, 12:26:37 PM »
I have three projects going right now...

Apfelwein (1 gallon) using EdWort's recipe: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f81/edworts-apfelwein-33986/ (in secondary)
Beaujolais (5 gallon) from concentrate. Just racked it into a 5 gallon glass carboy today.
Concord wine (1 gallon) from the recipe here: http://www.alabrew.com/ (in primary)

I did not order the pectic enzymes recommended for the concord wine, so proceeded without that particular recipe item. Any idea how much this will affect my success?

Also ordered a kit for Noble Trappist Ale for my husband to try out beer brewing. http://www.midwestsupplies.com/noble-trappist-ale.html

Offline javabrewer

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #59 on: November 21, 2010, 09:24:23 AM »
Lvschant, I'm pretty much a newb to homebrewing but I can say that I didn't add pectinase to my melomel when adding the fruit and ended up with over a gallon of pulp in the bottom which may or may not clear and settle.  I did add it just recently but tve heard the effectiveness is diminished with high alcohol content.  So add it sooner rather than later.