Author Topic: Recommended books for making wine with herbs, flowers ect  (Read 4922 times)

Offline jamze7417

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Recommended books for making wine with herbs, flowers ect
« on: December 17, 2015, 07:48:29 AM »
Can anyone recommend books for making wild wine with herbs, flowers ect

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures

Offline vardaman

• Prepper
  • NABCEP Certified Solar Hot Water Installer
Re: Recommended books for making wine with herbs, flowers ect
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2015, 09:26:57 PM »
River Cottage "Booze" - killer book, english, brewing, wine making, flavoring alcohols with berries etc... comical as well

http://www.amazon.com/The-River-Cottage-Booze-Handbook/dp/1607747855

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2015, 09:54:11 PM »
I made a awesome Dandelion wine when I was in Canada. I do not drink but everyone said it was lovely and they drank several gallons gone much to my chagrin.  I will try to find my recipe for you.

Here is one for Hawthorne flowers. I am not sure about the flowers, but the 'hips' are good for heart issues.
http://www.wine-making-guides.com/hawthorn_wine.html

Cedar

Offline Marinesg1012

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2015, 10:59:24 PM »
River Cottage "Booze" - killer book, english, brewing, wine making, flavoring alcohols with berries etc... comical as well

http://www.amazon.com/The-River-Cottage-Booze-Handbook/dp/1607747855
I just got this one plus their meat butchering and preservation book for myself for Christmas, I am looking forward to reading them.

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2015, 09:41:54 AM »
Any time I have a need for any information on home wine making, I head over to Jack Keller's Winemaking page.  He has hundreds of recipes and has won many awards with a lot of them.

For your question, check out his Making Wines from Wild Plants page.  Lots of background info and recipes on the bottom.

Offline vardaman

• Prepper
  • NABCEP Certified Solar Hot Water Installer
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2015, 01:21:28 PM »
I just got this one plus their meat butchering and preservation book for myself for Christmas, I am looking forward to reading them.

Spent Christmas day reading through just about every recipe in there. There's a ton of recipes that I didn't even realize were in there like at mead and a metheglin plenty of ciders. John Wright really is hysterical, in a British kind of way. I am going to order the preservation book too.

Another great English book about curing, brining etc is Jane Grigson's
http://www.amazon.com/Charcuterie-French-Pork-Cookery-Grigson/dp/1902304888/ref=la_B001H9RZC4_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1451160714&sr=1-1

She's English but the book is about the French old school methods. I'm hooked on brining pork now. I wish there was a similar book on Spanish and Italian methods

Offline David in MN

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2015, 03:55:52 PM »
The Alaskan Bootlegger's Bible has a ton of information on making alcohol on the fringe of society. The recipes tend to be a little simple but if you're looking for historical drinks made "in the wild" it might be a good jumping off point. The beer centric Sacred and Herbal Healing Beers also has a great deal of historic brews and ingredient info from Scandanavian "scurvy beer" to Latin American pulque and everything in between with a focus on adjuncts and healthy ingredients to be preserved.

As far as flower wines the big one there is dandelion wine. My grandparents made it (I actually suspect they were depression shiners on their corn farm) and had a special rake for pulling the heads off the dandelions. Never got a taste for it myself, I prefer beer, wine, and mead but you can homegrow all the dandelions you could want for wine and use the greens for salad or BLTs and have a pretty great crop if you don't care what the neighbors think of you.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2015, 10:09:30 AM »
... but you can homegrow all the dandelions you could want for wine and use the greens for salad or BLTs and have a pretty great crop if you don't care what the neighbors think of you.

i let mine grow in the back yard so my bees have some more nectar to gather to make honey. and it gives a home for the small snakes and praying mantis...