Author Topic: EASY HARD APPLE CIDER  (Read 11272 times)

Offline FromScratchWoman

• Survivalist Mentor
  • "Never buy nothin from a man named true"
    • Cold Creek Homestead
EASY HARD APPLE CIDER
« on: September 29, 2011, 07:55:31 PM »
This is fantastic... I'm in the very first stages... using wild yeast off an un washed organic apple{wild apple yeast} and preservative free cider... made some quick air locks,and im off and runnig! this will be consumed but im in it for the starter! Once i have a good apple yeast starter I can make a gallon of hard cider in five days...

http://www.eattheweeds.com/www.EatTheWeeds.Com/EatTheWeeds.com/Entries/1932/1/1_Cider_hard,_but_quick_&_easy.html

..left is Apple peels and raw honey,middle is the same organic cider but with just raw honey(hoping it has good wild yeast content) and the third is organic un washed apple peel and cider the original instructions..

I will keep everyone up to date as things come along... I hope people love this idea as much as i do..  ;D

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
Re: EASY HARD APPLE CIDER
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2011, 11:00:12 AM »
Looks like an apple cyder octopus! let us know how it goes...

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2011, 11:03:50 AM »
I recently did similar, but used champagne yeast and 2 food grade buckets.  Including a racking cane, and airlocks spent about $20.

I would warn with using the champagne yeast, as it's aggressive.  Your cider will end up very dry if not careful.  I also bottled mine a little too soon, and should have let it settle longer.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2011, 11:15:07 AM »
i like this paragraph:

By the way, don't put your hard cider into a freezer. Much  of the water will turn to ice and the very drinkable liquid you have left over is much stronger and is called home-made Apple Jack, which is illegal in most states because it hasn't been taxed. Freezing it will accidentally make a 40% proof brew. Accidentally freezing a second time after removing the ice will make it 80 proof.

Offline eph2

• Survivor
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2011, 09:33:17 AM »
I just hate it when people don't get taxed on their own ingenuity!

Offline FromScratchWoman

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Cold Creek Homestead
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2011, 08:27:00 AM »
I just hate it when people don't get taxed on their own ingenuity!

I know right ha! Sorry for the lack of activity I was struck down by the flu.. in the mean time..I have nothing to report..but that's a good thing no mold or odd film has appeared on anything..so two more weeks..hopefully I will see some wild Apple or honey yeast doing It's thing..

Offline dwhoppy

• Survivor
  • "Be Prepared!"
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2011, 10:33:16 AM »
This is fantastic... I'm in the very first stages... using wild yeast off an un washed organic apple{wild apple yeast} and preservative free cider... made some quick air locks,and im off and runnig! this will be consumed but im in it for the starter! Once i have a good apple yeast starter I can make a gallon of hard cider in five days...
I will keep everyone up to date as things come along... I hope people love this idea as much as i do..  ;D
I like that set up, and inexpensive bubblers. What are the jugs? Are they plastic or glass? One gallon?
Thanks, DWhoppy

Offline FromScratchWoman

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Cold Creek Homestead
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2011, 11:41:38 AM »
I like that set up, and inexpensive bubblers. What are the jugs? Are they plastic or glass? One gallon?
Thanks, DWhoppy

The jugs are one gallon glass jars from wallyworld I got for just under 5$ a piece,the lid doesn't really screw on tight as they're cookie jars so I put two or three layers of plumbers tape and it did the trick..I've been so busy I haven't been on the form much so my reporting is slackin..but I now have a fantastic wild starter..took a little over a week for the yeast to come to life I let it darn near die off poured off most of the juice then added half cup of sugar and a half cup of juice..its alive foams like crazy when I feed..then after a day or two of it really bubbling the airlock I take a cup out of my organic cider (glass jug) and switch it out with a cup of my starter in about five days its ready to be re bottled and put in the fridge to stop fermentation..its not dry at all or overly sweet and is nice and carbonated..and you can really taste the Apple!

Offline WestTx753

• Prepper
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2011, 12:26:47 PM »
Thanks for the information, been thinking about trying this myself!

Offline Olympic Wanderer

• Senior Survivalist
  • Not all who wander are lost. We just wish we were.
    • Olympic Wanderer
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2011, 01:48:36 PM »
Freezing it will accidentally make a 40% proof brew. Accidentally freezing a second time after removing the ice will make it 80 proof.

Is this a typo? I think I know what was meant to be said, but some clarification would be nice:
1st freeze yields 40 proof/ 20% ?
2nd = 80 proof / 40% ?

or 1st = 40% alcohol, 2nd = 80% or 160 proof? I can't imagine that to be the case.

Offline FromScratchWoman

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Cold Creek Homestead
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2011, 09:12:03 AM »
Is this a typo? I think I know what was meant to be said, but some clarification would be nice:
1st freeze yields 40 proof/ 20% ?
2nd = 80 proof / 40% ?

or 1st = 40% alcohol, 2nd = 80% or 160 proof? I can't imagine that to be the case.
That is the theoretical case..alcohol does not freeze so the water content  freezes on the bottom,first freeze leaves a 40% layer on top second freeze gets you to 80% next freeze sends you to the hospital ;D but the volume would decrease with each accidental freezing..I theoretically gave my self an imagined headache this made up morning from some lovely pretend 40% Apple jack in a dream last night...in my dream it tasted fantastically of apples and was wonderful warmed with fresh cream and mulling spices on a woodstove.. :beer:

Offline Doc K

• "King of the Medicine Cabinet"
  • Survivalist Mentor
  • Military Physician
    • Temperate Climate Permaculture
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2011, 04:05:24 AM »
The percent alcohol in Applejack will really depend on how long/hard you freeze the hard cider.  You don't really even have to perform two different freezes.  In the "old'n" days, they would just leave the cider barrel out in the cold in the winter.  Some places far north would let the barrel freeze solid and then drill a core to the liquid center and have something close to 80 proof Applejack (that would be 40% alcohol).

Applejack is notorious for causing hangovers.  When we heat distill an alcoholic beverage, the by-products of fermentation like fuse alcohol (complex alcohols), methanol (a simpler alcohol, aka "wood alcohol"), and other more complex by-products are left behind or easily separated due to the known boiling temperatures.  When distilling alcohol, we typically aim to keep only the ethanol (or normal "drinking" alcohol) portion. 

However, when we freeze cider or any other alcohol for that matter, we are actually performing a method of distillation known as (surprise!) Freeze Distillation.  Freeze distillation does not give us the option to separate the aforementioned by-products, so they are instead concentrated in the freeze distilled product along with the desired concentration of ethanol.

It is mainly these concentrated by-products (especially the wood alcohol) that is responsible for the intense hang-over from drinking a bit too much Applejack.  If you drank the equivalent amount of heat distilled alcohol, you wouldn't have the hangover.  In fact, a person can have the "hangover" without even feeling a "buzz" from the Applejack - this is likely from a higher percentage of wood alcohol and the toxic effects it has on the human body.

With all that said, Applejack is safe to drink in moderation, just like any other alcohol.  The quantity of wood alcohol is well below life endangering toxic levels... if drank in moderation.  However, if you drink way more than you should, then you run the risks of physical damage not only from the ethanol, but also the wood alcohol.

Hope that clarifies things a bit.

Doc K

Offline downinmississippi

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2016, 10:45:44 AM »
I just got started with Apple Ciders and so far i'm loving how easy they are.

Am going to try out that Edworts receipe when i get my big bottle in.