Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > COVID-19 Coronavirus Pandemic

Food supply chain problems from COVID-19

(1/9) > >>

Mr. Bill:
Reuters, 4/12/20: Factbox: Spread of coronavirus closes North American meat plants

--- Quote ---Major meat companies in the United States and Canada have closed plants temporarily due to cases of the new coronavirus and concerns about its spread. ...
--- End quote ---

Reuters, 4/12/20: Smithfield shutting U.S. pork plant indefinitely, warns of meat shortages during pandemic

--- Quote ---...Smithfield extended the closure of its Sioux Falls, South Dakota, plant after initially saying it would idle temporarily for cleaning. The facility is one of the nation’s largest pork processing facilities, representing 4% to 5% of U.S. pork production, according to the company.

South Dakota Governor Kristi Noem said on Saturday that 238 Smithfield employees had active cases of the new coronavirus, accounting for 55% of the state’s total. Noem and the mayor of Sioux Falls had recommended the company shut the plant, which has about 3,700 workers, for at least two weeks. ...
--- End quote ---

Morning Sunshine:
interesting...

the whole thing gets goofier and goofier.

Carver:
Being involved with our local farmer's market I've been careful watch on the food supply situation. I am not too concerned about the plant closing, meat packing houses have a long history of shutdowns due to strikes, diseased animals, droughts and more. I am guessing they are pretty smart and have freezers plumb full and can easily close down for several weeks without the consumer noticing any difference. I'd be more concerned about the food supply delivery chain that depends upon fields being harvested and truckers to deliver them cross country. There are several problems there. But the biggest threat is due to the collapse in demand from the national closure of restaurants. Producers are leaving their crops to rot in the field as they have no market.

It is interesting how we have watched shortages occur across the seas and think it will never happen here.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/todays-logistics-report-ships-head-to-storage-wavering-food-supplies-digitals-long-reach-11586447931

Stwood:
I'm reading where we also have numerous chicken and beef plants closing, due to the virus or workers just not showing up.

Canned meats of any sort have been hard to come by buying online for the last 30 days. Amazon and Walmart have been OOS.
You just to keep checking back and catch it when it's there.

Morning Sunshine:

--- Quote from: Stwood on April 13, 2020, 04:39:08 PM ---I'm reading where we also have numerous chicken and beef plants closing, due to the virus or workers just not showing up.

Canned meats of any sort have been hard to come by buying online for the last 30 days. Amazon and Walmart have been OOS.
You just to keep checking back and catch it when it's there.

--- End quote ---

maybe I need another 40# box of chicken to can...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version