Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > COVID-19 Coronavirus Pandemic

living in lockdown

(1/8) > >>

mountainmoma:
Thread for living in lockdown as we are no longer, well most of us by now, preparing for it, we are in it.

Food : I have not been to a grocery store since end of February.  I am continuing my monthly order from Azure, the order pick up is outside, I wear a mask and I bet next pick up everyone is much more aware, so eating that and pantry storage and yard. I have one doe in Milk and her kid is 3 months old, I am getting about 2 cups of milk every morning, 4 cups go to yogurt every week, some for tea and some for special ( like the cream soup) I am temporarily out of cheddar cheese as Azure was out last month.  It is weird to draw down pantry supplies without being able to restock right away, I agree with other posters that I am buying much less than my usual, as I cant go to the regular stores ( no-one is wearing masks yet, doesnt seem safe) and Azure is out of stock on alot too.

A few days ago I opened one can of Bega cheese, first time trying it, and tried it on its own. It tastes ok, mild, but some flavor, I will eat this for sure when needed.  I gave some to a neighbor to try, snacked on some, then put about 1/2 a can, grated, into a cream of brocolli and cheese soup.  Very good soup.

Tonight I opened a can of dried eggs as it needs to be used ( purchased 2014), I went thru some LTS this week to check for things like this, I made peanut butter cookies.  I have 1/2 dozen fresh eggs left as I gave 1/2 dozen away yesterday knowing I want to use up the dry eggs, and another 6 on the counter from this week in case I need to borrow my friends incubator, If other neighbor gets the chicks, I will just eat these. I am getting about 1 egg a day from the hens.

Transportation: Since I dont go anywhere much, I didnt notice at first that my car had a problem from my last time ( must have driven over a rock or pothole in the wrong spot), oil light was on, I put in oil, then had a real steady drip.  I have AAA towing, so has to be repaired remotely -  call a shop, call AAA, leave a note inside the car for the mechanic, put on my N95 mask to hand ID to tow driver, stay home, clean the ID. Pay over the phone with a credit card.  My offspring drove it up here to me, left the key on top of the car, and had a ride arranged with partner to get back home.  I need to go clean the inside before I drive it.  I did get to talk to them for a few minutes from 20 feet away, from the porch. 

Security:  This is my second day dragging a pistol with me everywhere around the place.  To uncomfortable to wear a belt for so long inside, so I just carry it with me to the next room and set it by where I am in reach.  I wear the belt/holster outside in the yard and barn.

I never had thought about having partial lock downs like this.   SO, my offspring works, so gets exposed to other people, is more likely to be a carrier so we cant mingle.  In all my pretend emergency scenarios it would either be a "mild" emergency, like some kind of supply disruption where they stay in place but we can help each other, or it is so crazy they need to be here where there is more infrastructure.   and room.  Thinking of that Tom Petty song, The waiting is the hardest part

Greekman:

--- Quote ---Security:  This is my second day dragging a pistol with me everywhere around the place.  To uncomfortable to wear a belt for so long inside, so I just carry it with me to the next room and set it by where I am in reach.  I wear the belt/holster outside in the yard and barn.
--- End quote ---

Since you are a lady and probably some time to spare, why don't you sew/stitch a simple carry pack/pouch for pistol, magazine, flashlight and knife? (for use while in home)

Greekman:
me, I was not influenced much because of the lockdown.
I am studying for a number of Agronomical certifications. About 100 pages and a test a week. x10 certifications. that keeps me many hours in front of the PC each day.
It so happened that the weather is rainy for 3 weeks now. That stemmed my urge to go outside, even though a daily walk is good regardless.

I started this lockdown with the promise to get a little lighter on the scale, but do not think I will achieve this. I am good on eating sensibly, but I did not manage to drop the evening digestion of calories.

My hair! my hair! if I bathe and dry them with the hair dryer, they fluff up to twice my head size!

mountainmoma:

--- Quote from: Greekman on April 05, 2020, 01:21:51 AM ---Since you are a lady and probably some time to spare, why don't you sew/stitch a simple carry pack/pouch for pistol, magazine, flashlight and knife? (for use while in home)

--- End quote ---

Good idea, although I generally just put it in my pocket when I change rooms.  then set it on the counter/side table/what have you.  These overalls have large pockets. 

But, you are right in that I am not carrying anything else, flashlight, knife, etc...  I think that kind of EDC might need to be incorparated in my idea of a cross body bag to wear when off property.

I have been thinking about digging out a bag, I think I have a bag I can wear cross body without making one, then while I note my needs more on any long term carrying needs, to perfect it, I can sew masks.  I also am going to see if I have a bag I can wear cross body and can lock the zip closed like I do on my soft sided rifle bags.  That would be for leaving the house, a nice stylish cross body bag with a teeny key lock. Then one of those wrist bungys with the key on it.  But, since I dont leave the house, not an issue, yet.

I spent yesterday going thru the closet seeing if there was any missplaced elastic, for masks

ChEng:

--- Quote from: Greekman on April 05, 2020, 01:21:51 AM ---Since you are a lady and probably some time to spare, why don't you sew/stitch a simple carry pack/pouch for pistol, magazine, flashlight and knife? (for use while in home)

--- End quote ---
Tom Clancy, in some of his books, described a purse carried by female secret service agents, called  a FAG bag (Fast Action Gun bag.) It was a purse with a side-opening pocket along the bottom. The pocket held the gun, kind of like a holster, and the agent had to simply reach from the side, into the bottom of her purse, and could quickly draw her weapon to fire.

If you have the sewing (or crafting) skills, and time, something like that may be better than the belt holster. Of course, then you have to get used to carrying your purse around the house like you were out - even from room to room.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version