Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > COVID-19 Coronavirus Pandemic

We are all preppers now

(1/16) > >>

Chemsoldier:
I wonder how this crisis will alter people's behavior in the long term?

Even people who expect the government to prevent stuff like this have now seen shelves picked clean.  They have seen that having it left of event is prudent.  Many might still be hippy collectivists, but methinks that having a deeper bench stock of daily life consumables.  To paraphrase the old saying, everyone has now been mugged.

Also, when most people weeks more of food than they used to, and apparently 6 months worth of TP, etc etc, where does that leave us as preppers?  The survival podcast has always emphasized the everyday life benefits of prepping and used that as a lever to try to convince people that our hobby is far more sensible that it is given credit for.

The most practical thing we have as preppers is a hedged position in consumables and a mind that has accepted that bad things can happen. Well, the overton window just got a huge push towards preparedness. We just got a lot less special and our neuroses may be a much bigger percentage of what sets us apart.

LvsChant:
I agree. I think we will see even more of it in the coming 2-3 weeks, as we start seeing the growth in number of identified cases in the US.

Mr. Bill:
Last time I went shopping was 5 days ago.  I'll be curious to see what the store looks like tomorrow.  At this point, with no confirmed local cases, I'm reducing the number of shopping expeditions but not quitting entirely.  We're stocked on some stuff, and we won't starve, but our normal menu contains a lot of perishables, and we haven't transitioned to surviving off of stored foods.  Which means we're still in "There's nothing in the house for dinner!" mode even though there's enough actual food.

Morning Sunshine:

--- Quote from: Mr. Bill on March 15, 2020, 06:29:31 PM ---Last time I went shopping was 5 days ago.  I'll be curious to see what the store looks like tomorrow.  At this point, with no confirmed local cases, I'm reducing the number of shopping expeditions but not quitting entirely.  We're stocked on some stuff, and we won't starve, but our normal menu contains a lot of perishables, and we haven't transitioned to surviving off of stored foods.  Which means we're still in "There's nothing in the house for dinner!" mode even though there's enough actual food.

--- End quote ---

exactly - we have transitioned to salads almost every night: romaine, tomatoes, carrots, cucumbers, radishes, and avocados. 

and lots of yogurt and brussel sprouts for breakfast.  (separately: some eat yogurt, some eat sprouts.  no one eats them together  :crazy:

David in MN:
I went shopping yesterday. It did have an odd feeling. But not a real "prepper" mindset. I did a quick run through to see what was in high demand. The big ones that stuck out were sanitizers, paper products, eggs, bread (as in the bread aisle), hot dogs, and frozen chicken nuggets.

That said, you could max out on potatoes, flour, rice, beans, every vegetable, oatmeal, barley, and so many other things. I had to suffer through pork schnitzel and scalloped potatoes for dinner.

I think (my anecdotal experience) any member of this forum would have found plenty to buy to plan a week of meals without difficulty. The things being horded are so bizarrely niche that any cook worth their salt could easily do without. Most of what I would call shelf stable food preps are being ignored as well.

I guess I'm drawing a distinction between myself and those around me. Sure they have packed their houses to the gills with bleach, toilet paper, chicken patties, and Wonderbread. That's not exactly my breed of being prepared. Not to say I've never bought a frozen meal in a pinch but bugging in means you have time on your hands to cook and real basic foods were in abundance.

Just my thoughts. Worth what you paid. But if this is suffering... Today I plan to make bone broth, churn ice cream, and throw a nacho party with homemade salsa in front of a movie. Not exactly a panicked hording lifestyle.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version