Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > COVID-19 Coronavirus Pandemic

Coronavirus sparks panic buying

<< < (2/22) > >>

CandyGram4Mongo:
We're about 50 miles outside of the nearest city.  Our grocery store was mostly stocked until the urbanites made the pilgrimage to clean us out this morning.

Carver:
Three trips to three different stores this week and all of them were well stocked. The one today had the entry lobby stacked with toilet paper. The place was more crowded than I've ever seen it, but no panic buying.

Chemsoldier:
No panic at stores I have been to.

Plenty of shoppers but people are really quiet.  There are obviously a lot of people who have a lot of gears turning upstairs right now.  Their ability to navigate the aisles with an awareness of others is impaired.  They are not being assholes or trying to get stuff over others, they just seem preoccupied.

Staples are pretty cleared out.  No flour (except the really exotic stuff), sugar, baking mix, instant potatoes, rice, yeast, baking powder, etc.  Like half of these knobs know how to bake...

felt liberating to be in there already prepared.  I grabbed a bunch of "treat" things for the family when the cabin fever starts getting to people.  A big pack of Oreos, more brats for a grill out, etc.  The wife has a bizarre and inexplicable love for Bud Light which I detest.  I picked up a tall can of it and stashed it behind some stuff in garage fridge to give her when she is stressed in a week or two.

Redman:

--- Quote from: Chemsoldier on March 15, 2020, 08:40:40 AM ---

felt liberating to be in there already prepared. 

--- End quote ---

Yep same here. Saw lots of unusually large quantities being bought. Maybe that's panic maybe not but people where I went were well behaved.

Morning Sunshine:

--- Quote from: Chemsoldier on March 15, 2020, 08:40:40 AM ---Staples are pretty cleared out.  No flour (except the really exotic stuff), sugar, baking mix, instant potatoes, rice, yeast, baking powder, etc.  Like half of these knobs know how to bake...
--- End quote ---

the big grocery store in town has a "case lot" sale every March and October, with staples and canned things being marked way down.  So when my baking daughter told me last month that she had opened the last 6-gal bucket of flour, I shrugged and said "I will get some at the case lot next month when it is cheap."

well... case lot started the same day as the governor cancelled every gathering over 100 people; the predominant church in Utah did as well, including Sunday services.   ::)

I went to the grocery store expecting to do my usual shopping.  No AP flour, just Baker's flour.  So I got the limit on that and told her to figure it out.

Also cleaned out was the produce section: potatoes, onions, carrots, all citrus, apples, and everything else was low.

--- Quote ---felt liberating to be in there already prepared.
--- End quote ---

I salved my soul yesterday by going down to do an inventory of my food storage.  I found another bucket of flour my daughter had missed (yeah!).  And while we are low on some items, things I would like to restock, we are (mostly) set for a while.

--- Quote ---The wife has a bizarre and inexplicable love for Bud Light which I detest.  I picked up a tall can of it and stashed it behind some stuff in garage fridge to give her when she is stressed in a week or two.

--- End quote ---

you are a good husband :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version