Finance and Economics > The Money Board

Make your own cleaning supplies. Saves money and safer for you and your family

<< < (10/12) > >>

FoolishCop:
I recently began using the homemade laundry detergent recipe for washing my clothes (DW isn't quite ready to abandon Arm & Hammer for her clothes yet) and an experiment to create a homemade dishwasher detergent fell a little flat as it left a filmy residue on dishes and glass (I'm going to try adding the TSP now).

But I think I was able to make significant headway with my wife for using homemade household cleaning agents because after a day of really giving the house, bathroom, and kitchen a good cleansing, she was knocked out at the end of the day with a really bad headache due to inhaling the commercial chemical fumes all day long. I explained that we could probably make our own cleaning supplies that would often have far less headache-iunducing chemicals in them. While she would still need to use proper ventilation when cleaning with ammonia- or bleach-based products much of the rest of the items would not be so chemical dependent.

And she was on board!

Perhaps if this experiment is successful I won't have to resort to my Plan B for laundry detergent. I was planning on slowly mixing in my homemade laundry detergent with her A&H until it was all converted over to the homemade. I figure it may take awhile before she begins to wonder why her supply of detergent never ends. :) Adding the TSP might be difficult though since she prefers powdered detergent over the liquid and the smell of the detergent would change over time, but by then she would be used to it, right?!

Thanks for all the great recipes!

Rich

LvsChant:
Good news, foolish... it sounds like she'll be in the right frame of mind to try the homemade cleaners. I truly think they work just as well as the store brands -- without the fumes.

archer:

--- Quote from: FoolishCop on March 17, 2013, 06:54:47 AM ---I recently began using the homemade laundry detergent recipe for washing my clothes (DW isn't quite ready to abandon Arm & Hammer for her clothes yet) and an experiment to create a homemade dishwasher detergent fell a little flat as it left a filmy residue on dishes and glass (I'm going to try adding the TSP now).

--- End quote ---

I had a problem with filmy residue on my home made dish soap also. I started adding TSP and that made it a little better. but I need to really tweak my recipe.

FoolishCop:
I haven't been able to get rid of the filmy residue either, even after adding the TSP and using vinegar as the rinse agent. I've tried a number of formulations I've found on the Internet -- though they're all variants of the same thing -- and nothing seems to really work. I feel I may have to keep using Cascade.

However, the laundry detergent and the all-purpose cleaner I made works great! I did add vodka(!) to the cleaner as it was a recommendation I found as an added disinfectant and it seems it's truly all-purpose! I cleaned counters, stainless steel, windows, and laminate floors with it and everything came out really clean looking and no streaks!

I'm slowly building up the stock of cleaners I have on hand, and I'll keep looking for (and trying) a dishwasher recipe that works.

Rich

archer:

--- Quote from: FoolishCop on March 19, 2013, 04:48:58 AM ---I haven't been able to get rid of the filmy residue either, even after adding the TSP and using vinegar as the rinse agent. I've tried a number of formulations I've found on the Internet -- though they're all variants of the same thing -- and nothing seems to really work. I feel I may have to keep using Cascade.

However, the laundry detergent and the all-purpose cleaner I made works great! I did add vodka(!) to the cleaner as it was a recommendation I found as an added disinfectant and it seems it's truly all-purpose! I cleaned counters, stainless steel, windows, and laminate floors with it and everything came out really clean looking and no streaks!

I'm slowly building up the stock of cleaners I have on hand, and I'll keep looking for (and trying) a dishwasher recipe that works.

--- End quote ---
vodka eh? hmm... gotta try that. or make my own like Steve Harris recommends.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version