Author Topic: Food prices increasing, possible shortages (merged topics)  (Read 382408 times)

Offline jasperg357

• Senior Survivalist
Re: Food prices increasing, possible shortages (merged topics)
« Reply #330 on: July 30, 2011, 08:19:36 AM »
I do not drink coffee, but I am pretty sure that I have read somewhere on the forum that whole unground coffee beans will last a while in light and oxygen free environment.

I believe green unroasted coffee beans will last close to 10 years if properly stored.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #331 on: July 30, 2011, 08:26:27 AM »
The USDA yesterday forecast retail-meat prices may increase this year as much as 7 percent and dairy products may jump 6 percent, more than the rate of overall food inflation at 3 percent to 4 percent.

Alfalfa went from $100 a ton to $160-190 a ton this year.

Cedar

endurance

« Reply #332 on: July 31, 2011, 07:30:09 AM »
The USDA yesterday forecast retail-meat prices may increase this year as much as 7 percent and dairy products may jump 6 percent, more than the rate of overall food inflation at 3 percent to 4 percent.

Alfalfa went from $100 a ton to $160-190 a ton this year.

Cedar
It's posts like this that make me glad I was lucky enough to draw four tags this year.  One cow elk, one doe deer and two doe antelope.  I'll be content to fill any of the three species, which should be a year's worth in the freezer. 

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #333 on: July 31, 2011, 08:13:32 AM »
Hay and grain is going to be at a premium this year and my state is not bad off, but I saw cattle being fed round bales yesterday ALREADY. Most of the mid-west and Texas are in drought. http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/expert_assessment/drought_assessment.shtml Farmers/Ranchers are already dumping animals to the feedlots to get rid of them before winter. No one is building their herds and alot of their replacement heifers are being sold as well. The time to buy beef is now-ish while there might be a glut of them in the meat markets, before quantity lowers again. I expect this for at least 2 yrs. You might buy direct from the farmer for the best prices.

Cedar

Thox Spuddy

« Reply #334 on: October 13, 2011, 02:35:02 PM »
Stock up on your peanut butter now! Prices will double by November.

http://moneyland.time.com/2011/10/12/prepare-to-shell-out-peanut-butter-price-hike-coming/

homeshow

« Reply #335 on: October 13, 2011, 08:47:44 PM »
Staley (corn gluten) went from $122 to over $210 per ton.  Every one around here is renovating old farm land.  Looks like small farmers might make some money for the next few years.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #336 on: June 07, 2012, 04:27:08 PM »
4 months ago, a box of oranges at Costco was $6.99. Today it was $9.99. In the regular store it is $19.50 a box equivilent.

Cedar

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #337 on: June 07, 2012, 04:36:25 PM »
wow - long time since this thread was updated.  was wondering if we had all gotten complacent about the increases.  sigh.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #338 on: June 07, 2012, 05:36:11 PM »
I probably see it more than most folks, as I only go grocery shopping at a regular store every 3-4 months. I get sticker shock every time I go.

Cedar

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #339 on: June 08, 2012, 07:31:54 AM »
I admit, the regular prices in the stores definitely give me sticker shock. I have continued to use the couponing strategies to buy food at reasonable prices with pretty good success. For example... oranges are 59 cents ea at the local WM. On sale at one grocery store this week for 4/$1.00. Same idea for coffee and other shelf-stable foods...

We only buy fruits/veges that are on sale during a typical week. There are usually enough to suit us just fine. The kicker is that you do have to go shopping more frequently to get on board with the sale prices. Different things are the stores' loss leaders each week.

On the plus side for gardening, Mom's zucchini are producing enough to keep them and us fully supplied... can't wait until the peppers and tomatoes kick in. Next summer we'll have our own garden :)

nkawtg

« Reply #340 on: June 08, 2012, 10:40:10 AM »
My wife noticed a large price increase at our military commissary recently. It's almost cheaper to shop off base.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
Corn crops - U.S. corn prices have soared 17 percent this month due to heat
« Reply #341 on: July 01, 2012, 11:59:55 AM »
USDA on Monday rated 56 percent of the U.S. corn crop as good/excellent, the lowest rating in that category in late June since 1988.

Corn plants stop growing when temperatures go above 90 degrees. So far, 2012 has been hotter across a broader swathe of the Midwest than 1988. Rain in July will be absolutely key to the corn crop's fate for 2012. The National Weather Service is calling for above-normal temperatures and below-normal precipitation for the next six to 10 days from Ohio to Nebraska, southward to Missouri.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/06/28/us-usa-crops-drought-idUSBRE85R06J20120628

Cedar

Offline cheryl1

• Survival Demonstrator
    • Russell Honey
It will get worse. Field corn pollen begins to sterilize at 100 degrees. We are losing a % of yield every day it stays this hot. Soybeans are running over $17 a bushel, and will likely go higher.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...

Offline Frugal Upstate

• Dedicated Contributor
  • aka Jenn Fowler and Jenn @ Frugal Upstate ;)
    • Frugal Upstate
Thanks for continuing to bring this kind of stuff to my attention.  I try to post about it and talk about it to family, on my blog etc. . . I keep hoping that mentioning very factual occurrences and their effects on the economy and system will get people thinking.  Sigh.  It's a hope anyway.

Offline cheryl1

• Survival Demonstrator
    • Russell Honey
Personally, high grain prices are great for me.....as long as Midwest weather isn't the reason they are high. Sure wish we could have kept some more of our profit last year for a non-rainy day fund instead of having it taxed right out of our hands.

Offline summer98

• Survivalist Mentor
  • This is a Floyd dog.
Drought Affects Half of U.S., almost 1/4 of crops in bad condition
« Reply #346 on: July 08, 2012, 09:25:13 AM »
And the drought is predicted to persist or intensify across much of the country. Get ready for higher food prices.

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/07/05/12579687-drought-hits-56-percent-of-continental-us-significant-toll-on-crops?lite

Offline cheryl1

• Survival Demonstrator
    • Russell Honey
Re: Drought Affects Half of U.S., almost 1/4 of crops in bad condition
« Reply #347 on: July 08, 2012, 09:33:43 AM »
The most recent ag report for Indiana has us at a 20% total loss so far, with another 50% of the crop in very poor condition. I don't know the exact numbers for soybeans, but they are similar.  :(

On the other hand, farmland will be cheaper to buy this fall.

endurance

« Reply #348 on: July 08, 2012, 10:05:19 AM »
Gratefully, we're finally getting significant rain here in Colorado.  Seems like the monsoonal flow that had been held out of the state by a large stationary high pressure system has finally moved on.  There's some cause for hope.

Offline cheryl1

• Survival Demonstrator
    • Russell Honey
« Reply #349 on: July 08, 2012, 10:38:18 AM »
Please send that rain east as quickly as possible!

endurance

« Reply #350 on: July 08, 2012, 11:08:08 AM »
Please send that rain east as quickly as possible!
On its way

Offline Oil Lady

• Lady oil lady oil la-dy hoo
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • My book needs more humor. My pen needs more salt.
« Reply #351 on: July 08, 2012, 11:37:18 AM »
25% is a pretty high percentage.

Riddle me this:

How much of "what's left" will we keep for ourselves, and how much will we CONTINUE to send overseas to Third World Nations for various UN initiatives?

The answer probably lies in whichever choice makes the most money.

Offline cheryl1

• Survival Demonstrator
    • Russell Honey
« Reply #352 on: July 08, 2012, 12:46:07 PM »

The answer probably lies in whichever choice makes the most money.

Of course, farming is a business.

Offline summer98

• Survivalist Mentor
  • This is a Floyd dog.
« Reply #353 on: July 09, 2012, 10:07:06 AM »
The most recent ag report for Indiana has us at a 20% total loss so far, with another 50% of the crop in very poor condition. I don't know the exact numbers for soybeans, but they are similar.  :(

I think it's worse than the report indicates as well; the national reports are usually a month or two behind. Alabama is also starting to really suffer, but we are forecast to get some rain this week.

Offline cheryl1

• Survival Demonstrator
    • Russell Honey
« Reply #354 on: July 09, 2012, 10:34:34 AM »
We need rain, but the heat is killing us too. Field corn pollen sterilizes above 100 degrees, so even if we get good water from now on, we're still mostly screwed.

Offline heliotropicmoth

• Survivalist Mentor
  • "Nothing is troublesome that we do willingly" -TJ
« Reply #355 on: July 09, 2012, 01:57:43 PM »
My garden is just now starting to show signs of needing water. Unfortunately no rain in the forecast for 4 days. Looks like I'm bringing out the hose tonight. Mulch, plus not watering all the time, has really made my homestead drought tolerant. I am sure some Permaculture water management methods could be positively applied to large scale agriculture. I wonder what it would take to mulch a large field of corn?

Offline summer98

• Survivalist Mentor
  • This is a Floyd dog.
« Reply #356 on: July 13, 2012, 12:55:35 PM »
Update:
61% of lower 48 is in drought conditions.
1,000 counties in 26 states have been declared natural disasters.
30% of corn crops and 50% of pasture and rangeland are in poor or very poor condition
It's the worst drought in 24 years

http://edition.cnn.com/2012/07/13/us/midwest-drought/index.html?iref=allsearch

Offline jm_sol

• Prepper
« Reply #357 on: July 13, 2012, 05:53:26 PM »
after watering the garden here in the houston texas area for the past 2 months (200$waterbill) we finally got rain. like 8 in in 2 days. now thinking i have my own rice paddy as the garden has flooded. gathered my sad tomato harvest in calf deep mud. will be a while before we can get in the fall garden soil amendments. the okra is jumpimg for joy but the weeks of heat and lack of water has severly stunted the cukes, peppers, squash, and beans. such is the way of mother nature.. too hot too dry too wet to cold. no wonder farmers in old photos looked so tired and wore out. and we have the option of farmer markets and CSA. i swear if we had to exist from this years garden we would be hurting.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
Crop reports as of this week
« Reply #358 on: July 13, 2012, 08:30:42 PM »
Due to the drought in the Mid-West...

Corn prices at the Chicago Board of Trade rising 47%
Soybean prices risen 25%
Wheat risen 32.5% from a June 15 low of $6.2675 a bushel to Wednesday’s high of $8.31, just under the high at $8.46

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kitconews/2012/07/11/focus-drought-in-u-s-midwest-wilting-crops-lowering-estimates-for-this-years-production/2/

It is not just the USA either.

http://www.usda.gov/oce/commodity/wasde/latest.pdf

http://af.reuters.com/article/commoditiesNews/idAFL6E8ID7GR20120713

http://mars.jrc.ec.europa.eu/News-Events/CROP-FORECAST-FOR-EUROPE

Cedar
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 08:36:06 PM by Cedar »

Thox Spuddy

Re: Crop reports as of this week
« Reply #359 on: July 13, 2012, 08:39:42 PM »
Corn is feed for cattle and poultry which means beef and chicken prices will skyrocket as many farmers will not be able to afford the feed and will just close out their livestock.

I haven't watered our garden in years but I broke down yesterday and soaked it for several hours. The sellers at the farmer's market are seeing their produce suffer and are bringing noticeably less to market. In Wisconsin.