Armory, Self Defense, And EDC > Martial Arts, Unarmed Self Defense, Hand To Hand Combat, and Physical Fitness

Fitness trackers

<< < (2/4) > >>

endurance:
A little over a year ago my wife got me a suunto ambit 3 peak and of all the gadgets I have owned in the last 20 years, it's probably my favorite. I started using a heart rate monitor watch when I was training for the Portland marathon in 1996 and since that time I've owned probably close to a dozen Polar and Garmin data devices, from bike mounted GPS units to wrist watches. All had their upsides and downsides. The most annoying thing was downloading the data for analysis after every workout or at least after every few hours. Some had battery life issues. Some had lousy software. Some crashed. Some drove me insane when they lost data because they ran out of memory.

The suunto can store hundreds of hours of data and you upload it by clicking on the app in your phone. The battery life is measured in weeks except when you're using the GPS, then it's 20 hours in best mode, 30 hours in good mode, and 200 hours of GPS collection in the battery saving mode. This made collecting data during my entire 400+ mile Colorado trail hike doable and uploading data to the interwebs without a computer easy. Bonus, if you left your phone at home, you can still collect the data and download later, and one better, if you left your watch at home and have your cell phone, you can use the app to capture your time and mileage and it automatically uploads.

The options for chest strap HRM, bike wheel speed, cadence, and foot pod exist. The app could be better, allowing more manipulation, editing, and graphics, but it's functional. I've heard the top end Garmin is pretty competitive, but I had lots of software glitches with my last two garmins and really didn't want to go there again. I've never once lost data on my suunto in over a year of use and close to 1000 miles of data collection. It also has smart watch features, like displaying texts and incoming calls, which I love. You can also create custom apps or download them for free. One app I saw chimed every time you burned a beers worth of calories. Others help with intervals based on heart rate, another gives you storm warnings based on changes in barometric pressure.

Blah, blah, blah, I like it. It's more than most people need, but was finally everything I wanted in a watch.

fritz_monroe:
Thanks for the replies so far. 

I don't want another one with a chest strap HRM.  I have a Garmin Forerunner that I use at times. But it's big and bulky.  I'll likely stick to the Garmin name since I have a bunch of data in there already.

endurance:

--- Quote from: fritz_monroe on December 22, 2016, 08:12:07 AM ---Thanks for the replies so far. 

I don't want another one with a chest strap HRM.  I have a Garmin Forerunner that I use at times. But it's big and bulky.  I'll likely stick to the Garmin name since I have a bunch of data in there already.

--- End quote ---
There's a number of good YouTube reviews of the new strapless HRMs and they're worth watching. The long and the short of it is that you should keep your expectations moderated with wrist-based HRMs. Their reliability with high intensity exercise is poor compared to chest straps. Frankly, I used a chest strap HRM for so many years that I know where my zones are just by how I'm breathing, so I never use my strap anymore.

RitaRose1945:

--- Quote from: fritz_monroe on December 22, 2016, 08:12:07 AM ---I have a Garmin Forerunner that I use at times. But it's big and bulky.
--- End quote ---

Even though I'm a woman and have small wrists (I wrap my right hand around my left wrist and almost all my fingers can touch my thumb) the Vivoactive HR hasn't felt bulky to me.  It sticks up above my wrist 3/8" but it isn't annoyingly large and conforms to my writs completely.

fritz_monroe:

--- Quote from: RitaRose1945 on December 22, 2016, 11:51:40 AM ---
Even though I'm a woman and have small wrists (I wrap my right hand around my left wrist and almost all my fingers can touch my thumb) the Vivoactive HR hasn't felt bulky to me.  It sticks up above my wrist 3/8" but it isn't annoyingly large and conforms to my writs completely.

--- End quote ---
The one I have is a Forerunner 305.  It's huge, WAY bigger than the current crop of devices.  I woulnd't have any issues with the Vivoactive's size.

--- Quote from: Endurance on December 22, 2016, 08:19:32 AM ---The long and the short of it is that you should keep your expectations moderated with wrist-based HRMs. Their reliability with high intensity exercise is poor compared to chest straps.

--- End quote ---
Yep, I know that they aren't that good for when you are working out, I mainly want the wrist HRM for monitoring all day.  Maybe there are some available with the wrist based one and able to use a strap as well?  I'll have to look into it a bit.

And I've watched tons of the reviews.  But I'm looking for what the members here have.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version