Author Topic: Nebraska???  (Read 3800 times)

Offline WeCanAndWill

• Prepper
Re: Nebraska???
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2011, 12:01:24 PM »
Welcome Todd.  My wife and I are just south of you on the Iowa side.  We've been listening since about December '08 to January of '09.  Maybe we should look at getting some of the people around the Omaha area to gether for a Meet & Greet.

Offline RipTombstone

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Plum Creek Leather Works
« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2011, 10:36:00 PM »
Welcome Todd!
And Outburst, I missed yours somehow. A belated welcome to you!

Looks like there are quite a few of you out around Omaha and in that part of the state. Thats good!
Need more central folks though.
RipT

Offline AcesHigh

• Prepper
  • By your deeds you will be known.
« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2011, 11:07:47 PM »
I really need to start paying attention to the forums more.  I would be up for a meet and greet near Omaha, or heck, anywhere within 3 hours or so with enough notice.  I've got a few animals that need somewhat regular attention, so any farther might be problematic.

Anyways, Welcome new members, I hope you're continuing to enjoy the podcast.  I'm on episode 420 of 687 as of today, and the changes it's made in my life over the last 9 months or so have been amazing.  I feel like I'm on a path towards the life I want to live.  I can't speak highly enough about the modern survival philosophy.  I'd love the opportunity to learn from and with others in the area.  As Jack says, there's simply too much to know it all yourself.

Offline AcesHigh

• Prepper
  • By your deeds you will be known.
« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2011, 01:16:59 PM »
Any of you around my area.  There's a free to the public swap meet at Christensen Field in Fremont this weekend.  I'm going to check it out.

http://www.swapfremont.com/

Offline Amerigo

• Survivor
« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2011, 05:59:13 PM »
I'm not new to the forum, but since I just moved to Nebraska, I'll introduce myself on this thread!

I'm living in Omaha now.  Can anyone can fill me in on some outdoor public gun ranges?  I'm itching to go!  I can't find anything that doesn't require an expensive membership or a time commitment to help run the place (like at the Southwest Iowa Sportsmans Club).  I realistically won't have the time to get to the range very often, so I'm just looking for a place where I can pay a few bucks and shoot for the afternoon.

Is anybody around here affected by the flooding? 

Offline RipTombstone

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2011, 10:11:16 PM »
Its more than a short drive, but Grand Island has 2 ranges.
The first one, the Grand Island Rifle Club is a membership type club. I dont know their exact rules, as I only shoot Cowboy Action shooting there, but its not a bad place.

The other is owned by the City of Grand Island, and is a public pay to shoot park. Its a very nice state of the art range designed by the NRA. It has a 600 yard max range, and many disciplines are offered there. Sporting Clays, Trap, Skeet, Action Pistol, IPSC, Cowboy Action (which I am part of), and 3 gun are all done there as well. www.heartlandpublicshootingpark.com

It would be about a 2 hour drive for you, but for a day of shooting, well worth it. They also have camping available too, if you wanted to shoot the whole weekend.

And welcome to Nebraska...

RipT

Offline W

• Prepper
  • Rifleman
« Reply #36 on: July 08, 2011, 03:45:24 PM »
<snip> I realistically won't have the time to get to the range very often, so I'm just looking for a place where I can pay a few bucks and shoot for the afternoon. <snip>

Amerigo - First off, welcome to Nebraska!  If all you want to do is outdoor plinking, that is, not a structured shoot, then RipTombstone is right that you'll likely have a fair drive from Omaha.  But, if you don't mind an indoor range, try The Bullethole at Harrison/109th.  They allow centerfire rifles on some of the bays, but prohibit FMJ rifle ammo - check the range rules and make sure you wear plugs and muffs.  ;)  Alternatively, you could head down to Eastern Nebraska Gun Club in Louisville on one of the IDPA/Three Gun/USPSA/etc competition weekends (Click for schedule).  There's a small fee to register for each shoot, but you aren't required to be a range member to participate.  If you're a novice at competitions, first check out the Match FAQs and the ROs will help walk you through your first shoot.  Basically, if you can follow the 4 safety rules, then you'll have a great time.  I've found competitions are one of the best ways to learn to run your firearm under stress. 

Offline RipTombstone

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #37 on: July 08, 2011, 05:25:00 PM »
Yep. Louisville has a decent club there for cowboy as well. Shot there several times.
That isnt too bad a drive from the West edge of Omaha.
RipT

Offline themirage

• Prepper
« Reply #38 on: July 09, 2011, 03:04:37 PM »
I'm over in Iowa but wondering has anyone been to the LDS cannery in Omaha? Are they still open to non-members? If so I may have to make a trip that way to load up and see some family in the area.

Offline RationalHusker

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2011, 12:39:12 PM »
A Nebraskan, currently living in exile (in Iowa) checking in.  I'll try to keep an eye on this board for events, news, etc.  My family is still living The Good Life, so I get back there pretty frequently.

GBR!

Offline ORherbalmed

• Prepper
    • small space survival
« Reply #40 on: July 25, 2011, 03:13:40 PM »
Todd: Good to see some one close by! I'm in Council Bluffs jut across the river but I work in Omaha.

Offline ORherbalmed

• Prepper
    • small space survival
« Reply #41 on: October 12, 2011, 08:47:44 PM »
Due to some recent work changes and living situation issues the lady and I will be moving from CB out to Bellevue NE.

Offline ADV1

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #42 on: April 11, 2012, 02:01:51 PM »
Gretna checking in...

Offline JarKodiak

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #43 on: April 24, 2012, 05:05:19 PM »
Lincoln here.  Just started listening to the podcast (who knew starting a job where I'm forced to sit in front of a computer all day could result in something good.  If I had nothing to listen too I'd break the first rule of survival by my own hand)  A LOT of info.  I'm trying not to get overwhelmed.. Not in much of a position to do much prepping right now, but I have started a small bit of planting out on my fire exit stairs.  Not a lot, not even enough to really put a dent in the food budget, but a starting point into learning some basics of growing and all that as somewhere to start.

Offline RipTombstone

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #44 on: April 24, 2012, 09:53:47 PM »
Welcome!
As long as you are learning how to grow stuff, I think thats a good start. I also am desk bound, and listen to the podcast at work.
I have a window box at work that I start my plants in, and am thinking about putting a grow light in my warehouse somewhere out of the way to see if I can grow some veggies indoors this summer.
RipT

Offline JarKodiak

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #45 on: April 27, 2012, 11:13:52 AM »
yeah, right now it's just tomatos, beans and strawberries.  Gonna find some free dirt on craigslist and alread got some free 5 gallon buckets.  Gonna try black berries, carrots, pepers and maybe some leafy greens.

Offline JarKodiak

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #46 on: May 08, 2012, 11:27:19 AM »
OK, so I'm just getting into growing some vegetables (in planters now, gonna try to get one of the community crops plots for next year)  What are people in nebraska growing?

Offline RipTombstone

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #47 on: May 08, 2012, 12:16:01 PM »
Tomatoes, peas, carrots, beans of several varieties, lots of winter type squash, some zuchinni/summer squash, more tomatoes, peppers and more peppers. Pumpkins, watermelon, and canteloupe were in last year, but I dont think I will do the melons at the house this year and will concentrate on more vegetables rather than fruits.
I also have some herbs started along with some strawberries that are already producing for me.

All of this is in a very small yard with a big house and garage, and while its kind of a jungle at midsummer, it does produce well for me.
If you can, build up a small garden box a few feet by whatever feet you can get. Its nice to have it at home rather than the community places. Maybe a small box on wheels that you can roll to the fire escape, then back into your room as needed.
Good luck, RIpT

Offline JarKodiak

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #48 on: May 10, 2012, 11:18:24 AM »
unfortunately, a cart would be very impractical.  I have zero yard space since it's an attic apartment.  but the fact that it's the attic gives me some ledge space b/c of the outside wooden stairs.

Offline JarKodiak

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #49 on: May 22, 2012, 10:10:06 AM »
so in an effort to keep the nebraska group talking and to benefit myself, I'm gonna give a little update on my small start at some small scale gardening.  Pretty much all container gardening out on my outside stairs.  My grape tomato plant is doing well.  Growing big and about 20 some fruits of different sizes on it.  My beans seem to be growing alright.  my other tomato plant isnt bearing good fruit, I'm thinking of just ditching it.  it's grown 2 fruits, and one was messed up. my strawberries were looking good one day and then the next, they were all shriveled, so I'm writing them off.

I just planted some carrots and radishes in my 5 gallon buckets.  I probably over crowded them, but if I went my the packaging suggestions, I'd get like 2 radises and 1 carrot per bucket.  Like I said, a lot of this is more for the sake of learning at this point than feeding myself. 

My bigger project for this week is planing an asparagus bed at my girlfriends place.  this is an area I wanna make sure I get right since it's going to take a long time to see results.  I've got 10 bulbs (not sure if that's the right terminology) I just bought from home depot. what kind of spacing should I give them?  Any general tips or things I should know?  Also, I was thinking of trying the "semi hugelkultur" thing that jack talks about.  Digging a few feet down, filling half with old wood then with dirt.  Is that pointless for asparagus?  Not sure if their roots will even be able to take advantage that far down.  Any help would be appreciated.  the bed I'm making is in full sun and I have a fair amount of space to use.  bordered right by tall weeds, so not sure if they're going to steel nutrients.  thanks.

Offline JarKodiak

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #50 on: June 04, 2012, 11:26:07 AM »
hey, anyone looking to do a fun and cheap pistol shoot, on june 16th they're having a pistol shoot called rock your glock (doesn't have to be a glock)  Just a little outside of lincoln  http://rockyourglock.tripod.com

Offline sirosisofliver

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #51 on: August 27, 2012, 01:32:51 PM »
LeShara here..between Fremont and Omaha...

Offline JarKodiak

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #52 on: August 27, 2012, 02:15:45 PM »
how's it going sirosisofliver? so what are you doing prepper wise? 

Offline RipTombstone

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #53 on: August 28, 2012, 06:14:55 AM »
Welcome!
Tell us a little about yourself!

RipT

Offline JarKodiak

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #54 on: August 31, 2012, 11:31:49 AM »
any suggestions on some fall things I can grow in containers and when to plant them?  either stuff I can plant now or in the near future

Offline sirosisofliver

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #55 on: September 01, 2012, 04:28:09 PM »
Hey guys!  Prepper wise, getting my house in line.  I just purchased a house, and it was in pretty bad repair.  Will be putting in radiant heaters soon (Comfort Cove built in Valentine, NE, only draw about 5 amps each on 240). I have to also replace the septic system, so couldn't do much with the garden for the year, and hopefully the laterals dont occupy too much of my yard.
  Other things I have done is researched some silver purchases, which I am getting ready to do.  I have also made friends with my neighbors, and found out some of them share the same attitudes for prepping as I do.  Everyone seems to have a garden in town, most of the folks I know are 2nd Amendment friendly, and no HOA types anywhere..lol.
  The neighbors and I are are thinking about having a bbq shoot in the future; you can shoot in town if you are aiming out of town towards fields.  After living in Omaha for 10 years, its a strange concept!!

Offline JarKodiak

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #56 on: October 30, 2012, 01:34:41 PM »
things are starting to get a little more in order.  Just started a new job that makes more money and has overtime opportunities, so I should have my debt cleared within a year.  Got a little bit of food and water stored and working on getting my gf on board.

Offline sirosisofliver

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #57 on: November 05, 2012, 06:05:25 PM »
My gf is on board.  I nixed the radiant electric heat, and am using the propane fired hot water radiator heat.  Works pretty good.  Only have a 60% efficient boiler, can get a 93% boiler to save some propane next year.  I don't need electricity to make the whole thing work, so would always have heat..:)  Working now on getting food stored, and water.  Been watching CL for shelving.  Scrap place I haul into had 3 damn nice National Guard shelving unit throw aways.  They wouldn't let me buy them, they shredded them...what a waste.  I would be interested in a meet and greet in the area.  Any ideas?

Offline JarKodiak

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #58 on: December 04, 2012, 04:42:35 PM »
my gf is understanding if not necessarily on board.  A lot of the things I wanna do she's either ok with or on board with for her own reasons.  We got some free fencing from a neighbor that we'll likely set up for the purpose of rabbits in the spring.

Offline sirosisofliver

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #59 on: February 06, 2013, 08:07:08 AM »
Hows everyone doing through the winter?  Im keeping warm, keeping stocked on ammo, and hoping for an early spring.