Armory, Self Defense, And EDC > Firearms Advice For Beginners

griz ..

(1/7) > >>

surfivor:
 My sister lives near the Tetons in Idaho. My mother says Griz have moved into the area. I heard even that a problem bear with a cub was just relocated to the mountains near her house. She does alot of horseback riding into the backcountry overnight by herself. I think she often brings 2 horses and 3 dogs. She probably does not have alot of money for a gun .. Would some kind of carbine be good for under $300 ?

My brother in law doesn't always like her going off in the mountains by herself but she does what she wants. There has always been talk of getting a handgun as well. 9mm would be good for protection and for putting down a horse, but for griz my guess is it is too light .. Even a bigger gun would probably not be good either but not sure if it is better than nothing .. Having the full mojo would perhaps be too expensive and too big of a kick

surfivor:

I guess a 12 gauge pump shotgun is a good choice .. Are there decent models for $200 ?
I saw some for around $350

Carl:
She has horses and can't afford a $300 dollar shotgun to help protect her life?
Buckshot or slugs are about minimal for dangerous game.

surfivor:

--- Quote from: Carl on October 10, 2016, 10:09:06 AM ---She has horses and can't afford a $300 dollar shotgun to help protect her life?
Buckshot or slugs are about minimal for dangerous game.

--- End quote ---

women are big into horses .. having a horse is such a high priority for her

Skunkeye:
The Mossberg Maverick 88 is a reliable shotgun that won't break the bank.  They can be had for around $200 brand-new, almost anywhere.  They sell several different models with varying barrel lengths and magazine capacities. 

A 12 gauge pump shotgun loaded with slugs is about the only "cheap" option for big animals like bear, but it's also something that your sister is going to need to practice with.  It's not the kind of gun you can fire a couple of times at the range and then be ready to use effectively in an adrenalin-dump scenario.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version