Armory, Self Defense, And EDC > Firearms Advice For Beginners

Dry firing: okay or not

<< < (2/7) > >>

endurance:
My instructors have always said it's fine with all calibers but rimfire .22.  I've always dryfired all my guns except .22 and never had a problem.  In fact, I know no better way to get better with trigger pull than frequent dry fire drills.

Taylor3006:
There really isn't a good reason to not use snap caps or empty cases (for 22's) when dry firing. Homemade snap caps are easy, use a bit of pencil eraser in a deprimed case, bit of glue and voila. Removing a spent primer is no big deal, even if you don't have reloading equipment. The only time I do not use them is like what Mortblanc is discussing, snapping to relive tension on springs for storing a weapon.

Chemsoldier:

--- Quote from: Taylor3006 on July 25, 2014, 09:07:46 PM ---There really isn't a good reason to not use snap caps or empty cases (for 22's) when dry firing.

--- End quote ---
Because in certain weapons its a pain in the butt to use snap caps for just dry fire?  For a striker fired weapon, cycling the action so you can snap again will usually eject the snap cap. I just find no particular reason to for that purpose in centerfire, striker fired pistols.

Carl:

--- Quote from: Chemsoldier on July 26, 2014, 05:58:51 AM ---Because in certain weapons its a pain in the butt to use snap caps for just dry fire?  For a striker fired weapon, cycling the action so you can snap again will usually eject the snap cap. I just find no particular reason to for that purpose in centerfire, striker fired pistols.

--- End quote ---

Remove a bit of the rim from the shell and the extractor will not extract it till you use a dowel rod  to remove it for 'real' use.
My 'display' guns often have this an an extra level of safety to help keep my friends ratio up .

flippydidit:

--- Quote from: Carl on July 26, 2014, 06:53:01 AM ---Remove a bit of the rim from the shell and the extractor will not extract it till you use a dowel rod  to remove it for 'real' use.
My 'display' guns often have this an an extra level of safety to help keep my friends ratio up .

--- End quote ---

Without sounding too much like Mark Wahlberg in "The Sniper", I've made shortened firing pins for the firearms I dry-fire with on a regular basis.  It takes me very little time to swap out firing pins when I'm ready to make it "live" again.  I also remove the extractor when using any snap caps.  Then I replace the extractor when I'm done training.  Both options add a small amount of safety as well.  Unable to remove the snap cap unless done deliberately, and unable to fire a live round if one "found" it's way into the training area.  I'm not talking about sabotaging a good firing pin.  The firing pin is made from scrap metal I have in the shop.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version