Armory, Self Defense, And EDC > Firearms Advice For Beginners

What are your four? and advice on my choices...

(1/16) > >>

Sprunch:
My four are actually five:
Handguns- S&W 627 8 Times in 38spl/357 Magnum-love this gun!
             - EAA Windacator 38spl/357 Magnum-edc
Shotty-Mid 80's Moss 500a 20" barrel 8 round-home defense
Rifle- Marlin60-plinker/varmit

l would like to get a lever action as well, staying away from 'assualt' rifle. Actually sold a WASR 10 w/ammo and took the money and bought the above guns.

My question is, would a 357 Lever action be a good choice? or should l roll a 30.06? Would be more of my longer range gun.

Thanks in advance.
BTW only been 'into' firearms for a year, excuse the noob questions.

endurance:
If I only could have four it would be:

Springfield XD9 compact
Ruger 10/22 (or Marlin model 60)
Walther P22
FN-FAL

Why?  One training rifle that also makes a great small game gun, one training pistol that's also a minimalist concealed carry pistol, one defensive handgun, and one defensive rifle that can also be used on big game (with a 5 round mag).  Of course, I'm not a bird hunter, so YMMV.

Depending on what part of the country you live in and what big game you see and at what range you find them, I'd opt for either a 30/30 or .44 magnum lever action or a bolt action .270, .308 or 30-06.  If you live in brushy country with smaller deer, no elk, moose or big bears, a .44 or 30/30 seems adequate out to about 75-100 yards.  If you have larger game with longer shots out to 200 yards or more, you'll want a semi-auto (Browning BAR) or bolt action (Remington or Savage) rifle in a heavy hitting caliber. 

While I like the idea of .357 lever actions, I just don't think you're gaining a huge amount over your existing 627 (yes, it will be more reliably accurate out to 75 yards, but you're already good to nearly 50 yards with a long barreled 627.

Hurricane:
 :popcorn:

Sprunch:
LOL Hurricane

Thanks for the advice endurance!

Not a hunter until l need to be one, in SE Mi, love to shoot!

l was thinking 357 lever action for the common ammo theme, also the cheap to shoot 38spl. for taget practice.

endurance:

--- Quote from: Sprunch on February 08, 2013, 04:23:06 PM ---LOL Hurricane

Thanks for the advice endurance!

Not a hunter until l need to be one, in SE Mi, love to shoot!

l was thinking 357 lever action for the common ammo theme, also the cheap to shoot 38spl. for taget practice.

--- End quote ---
That's a reasonable principal.  It's also a very easy cartridge to hand load with a Lee Loader if you want to keep costs even lower, gain a new skill, and have the ability to develop some new custom loads.  That's how I first started reloading and I worked up a 148gr. full wadcutter loaded fairly light in .38 special that would let you draw a smiley face on the silhouette at 50' with my 4" GP100.   

Sorry for the topic drift.  I do miss that GP100 badly.  38/357 is a very versatile platform.  I just wish there was more options for .41 special/magnum.  That would be hard to beat for a lever gun and handgun.  I'm not a fan of the .44 magnum in a handgun, but in a rifle it's a great lever gun.  I thought a lot about the .357, but Colorado law is a bit strange.  While it's legal to hunt deer and elk with a .357 handgun with a 4" barrel, it's unlawful to hunt with a .357 in a rifle.  I kind of get their logic because the bullet does lose a lot of energy out toward the end of it's accurate range, but because of that, I opted not to go with either and went in a completely different direction.  It still makes sense in many applications, just not what I was hoping for.

Arrrgh, this thread got me to thinking about 10mm, another caliber legal for handgun hunting in Colorado, but again, it's just shy of enough energy to be legal for rifle hunting.  A 10mm carbine/handgun combo would be slick... but not practical for what I was thinking...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version