Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > Homesteading and Self Reliant Living

Are you planning your fall garden?

<< < (2/4) > >>

LvsChant:
He hasn't slowed down on his gardening -- indeed it is much larger scale now.

surfivor:
By September or October the amount of sunlight has decreased quite a bit. After June 22 the light start a decreasing. That must have a negative effect on plants. I have never seen much rapid growth with fall plantings but my backyard is not 100% sun to begin with tho it gets a good amount. In the early to mid morning it has some shade

LvsChant:

--- Quote from: surfivor on July 18, 2020, 09:30:39 PM ---By September or October the amount of sunlight has decreased quite a bit. After June 22 the light start a decreasing. That must have a negative effect on plants. I have never seen much rapid growth with fall plantings but my backyard is not 100% sun to begin with tho it gets a good amount. In the early to mid morning it has some shade

--- End quote ---

You are a lot farther north, so you have to back up your planting by a few weeks... looks like first frost in Bar Harbor is October 11 (even sooner for places farther north), so you have at least ten fewer days than I do. It is probably a lot cooler up there, too, so you could probably plant some things now that would produce for you -- particularly the brassicas, I'm thinking. However, even green beans, and cucumbers could give you a second crop in that time. Definitely turnips, rutabagas, cabbage, broccoli, radishes... Also, your salad greens would probably do really great.

CarbideAndIron:
We just moved to some property in March, and are getting our homestead up and running still. Only did some rhubarb, green beans, tomato, strawberry, spinach, romaine, and peppers for now.
We have a little greenhouse, and the garden. I was thinking of the fall stuff out in the garden should be things protected by the ground like turnips, carrots, potato, brussel sprouts, cauliflower.
Will the greenhouse buy us some more time to grow summer stuff further into the year? I realize this is probably a dumb question, but we've only done small raised beds before, and are new to a lot of gardening.
We are in western Washington.

surfivor:

--- Quote from: LvsChant on July 19, 2020, 08:02:30 AM ---You are a lot farther north, so you have to back up your planting by a few weeks... looks like first frost in Bar Harbor is October 11 (even sooner for places farther north), so you have at least ten fewer days than I do. It is probably a lot cooler up there, too, so you could probably plant some things now that would produce for you -- particularly the brassicas, I'm thinking. However, even green beans, and cucumbers could give you a second crop in that time. Definitely turnips, rutabagas, cabbage, broccoli, radishes... Also, your salad greens would probably do really great.

--- End quote ---

Alot of stuff doesn't get very big before the cold weather sets in. I think I have tried romaine. If you get any really hot weather in September, it won't germinate too well. In those few months like October, etc .. It doesn't seem to get a lot of growth in

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version