Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > Homesteading and Self Reliant Living

Are you planning your fall garden?

<< < (4/4)

LvsChant:
As the summer is progressing, summer production is way down and I've been pulling out non-productive stuff -- the butternut squash and yellow summer squash are gone, as well as the summer green beans (which were struggling with mexican beetle damage). All the carrots and onions are harvested and a new crop is going in.

The second planting of green beans is looking healthy and starting to get full of little bitty beans. My second cucumber planting has been yielding a fair amount of pickling cucumbers, but the cucumber beetles are still hitting it hard.

I have Opal Basil sprouting, as well as several different salad greens. Dill has re-seeded itself and is looking good. I'm still getting parsley, oregano, sage, thyme and my rosemary is looking very healthy, so I may dehydrate some of that as well, although I do have a good supply dried already. The fall carrots are up and starting to grow. I have lots of radishes sprouting already. I let some go to seed, so it has come up on its own. I still need to plant turnips, rutabagas and fennel...

I started some broccoli and cabbage in starter pots, but they don't look too good. I may try direct sowing in some of the garden empty spots and see how it fares. I'll plant those sad little seedlings, too and hope that something comes out.

My later planted watermelon looks like I may get a couple of melons before the frost... we shall see.

Stwood:

Still to warm here to be sowing I think.
I did remove a sheet of black plastic I had over a row of grassed in leek that (transplant) didn't work out.
That sure kills everything out. I think there's 2 weed seeds that survived though...

I've got radishes and peas laid out to plant

LvsChant:

--- Quote from: Stwood on August 24, 2020, 07:49:10 AM ---Still to warm here to be sowing I think.
I did remove a sheet of black plastic I had over a row of grassed in leek that (transplant) didn't work out.
That sure kills everything out. I think there's 2 weed seeds that survived though...

I've got radishes and peas laid out to plant

--- End quote ---

I haven't tried fall peas... that's a good idea, too. I don't even think I have seeds... will have to remedy that.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version