Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > Homesteading and Self Reliant Living

Are you planning your fall garden?

<< < (3/4) > >>

LvsChant:

--- Quote from: CarbideAndIron on July 19, 2020, 12:09:51 PM ---We just moved to some property in March, and are getting our homestead up and running still. Only did some rhubarb, green beans, tomato, strawberry, spinach, romaine, and peppers for now.
We have a little greenhouse, and the garden. I was thinking of the fall stuff out in the garden should be things protected by the ground like turnips, carrots, potato, brussel sprouts, cauliflower.
Will the greenhouse buy us some more time to grow summer stuff further into the year? I realize this is probably a dumb question, but we've only done small raised beds before, and are new to a lot of gardening.
We are in western Washington.

--- End quote ---

I've never lived in your region, so I can't really answer for where you are, but it does seem reasonable to expect that you could extend your growing season with a greenhouse offering some protection as the cold weather appears. However, for many of us in more southern climes, it is just really hot in a greenhouse this time of year unless it is equipped with shade cloth and good ventilation. As you planning to plant in containers and move them in to the greenhouse before a frost?

I have a greenhouse planned for here, but I was really planning to use it more to get a jump start on the spring crops and also for growing things like greens in the winter (which should survive fine without heat, but with the protection it could get with a greenhouse).

surfivor:
 I have a yurt small greenhouse but I didn't get enough out of it for me to get excited about it. It's not heated or anything. I have to set it up and it takes time. Probably I'm not serious enough about

CarbideAndIron:

--- Quote from: LvsChant on July 21, 2020, 09:49:43 PM ---I've never lived in your region, so I can't really answer for where you are, but it does seem reasonable to expect that you could extend your growing season with a greenhouse offering some protection as the cold weather appears. However, for many of us in more southern climes, it is just really hot in a greenhouse this time of year unless it is equipped with shade cloth and good ventilation. As you planning to plant in containers and move them in to the greenhouse before a frost?

I have a greenhouse planned for here, but I was really planning to use it more to get a jump start on the spring crops and also for growing things like greens in the winter (which should survive fine without heat, but with the protection it could get with a greenhouse).

--- End quote ---

Well luckily western WA is really mild. Our summers don't get many days of real hot or cold. I was hoping to just put stuff that's more sensitive to the cold in there. I'd really love to get one of those avocado trees that are more cold hardy than the standard ones. I suppose I might as well just give it a shot.

PorcupineKate:
Most of my fall garden has been planted already.
I generally plant throughout the summer as I find empty spaces in the garden.  Kale, basil, dill, bush beans, carrots, pac choi, and summer squash get planted every couple of weeks till mid July. 

I planted bush beans mid July and carrots last week  I planted a couple of summer squash where the cat destroyed some seedlings so I should get a few summer squash from them before frost. Another round of dill was planted too.

I also planted some seed potatoes in June for a fall harvest.  My husband found some potatoes from last year I missed in my spring planting so I figured I would see what happens if I planted them in June for a fall harvest. They are shorter season determinate potatoes that I have been growing and saving for 5 years now.   I am hoping for less bug pressure than my April planting.  So far so good.

August 1st the spinach, snap peas, lettuce, arugula, basil and dill will all be planted. 

After that the only fall planting to be done is the garlic and walking onions in late September to early July.

We also use the fall to add or make changes to our raised beds.  It is far easier to do in the fall before the ground freezes.   

bigbear:
I typically do a second planting of beans, broccoli, and cauliflower.  As it gets later, I'll throw in some carrots, peas, and lettuce/spinach/etc.

Planning on some walking onions and adding more asparagus this year too.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version