Armory, Self Defense, And EDC > Bows and Arrows

cross bows disasemble easily ?

<< < (2/3) > >>

DeltaEchoVictor:

--- Quote from: surfivor on October 08, 2008, 09:16:26 AM ---
 From listening to the podcast, at first I thought a longbow would be good, then a guy up where I camp says they are hard to pull at 60 pounds or so and instinctive shooting takes years to learn. I'm not sure which way to go ..

My mother doesn't want me target practicing in the back yard, I'd have to go out in thee woods with one of those little hard foam box targets

--- End quote ---

For the sake of disclosure, I shoot a longbow, so you can assume I am biased to some degree. ;D

But having said that, instinctive shooting is all about hand eye coordination.  If you've spent any time playing video games then your brain is already trained (to some degree).  I'm 36 & while many of my contemporaries are video game players, I never was, so it's taken me a bit longer probably to be comfortable with no sights.  It doesn't take years, not for most people.  It just takes consistent practice.

It takes regular practice to shoot a bow without sights, but there are sighting options available for even longbows & recurves.  In fact, you can make your own sight with something as simple as a matchstick & some electrical tape.  You only have to be willing to experiment a little to find proper placement on the riser in comparison with the average yardage you want to be able to hit proficiently.  I linked a couple of archery sights Here.  If you think you're interested in trad archery I can help you get set up pretty cheap.  You can definitely become proficient quicker if you wanted to go the compound route but I've not shot one in a long time.

You don't need a 60 pound bow to take large game.  In fact, I hunt with a bow that's only 45#'s & it's plenty capable of taking deer sized game.  There used to be a trend toward "heavier is best", but it's just not the case.  Starting out you should shoot something that's comfortable for you to pull consistently because getting the proper form is the most important aspect of shooting any type of bow.  If you're interested in learning more shoot me an IM & I'll be more than happy to help or answer any questions you may have.

Shane

Roswell:
I think it really depends on your purpose.  I recently purchased the crossbow pictured below.

It doesn't look like much, but here is what the company says about them "This 50 lb. mini-crossbow is constructed of stainless steel with a black hard plastic overlay. Complete with a scope positioned at the end of the barrel for precision in aiming. Perfect for target practice and amateur competitions! The mini-crossbow package includes 5 razor sharp arrows, prods, bow string, and target! Shoots 200 Feet Per Second with a pin point accuracy up to 40 yards."

I bought mine at a gunshow for $7, mainly for that reason.  It is pretty nice though, especially for that price.  I went ahead and purchased an extra string for $3 and some extra darts that had aluminum shafts (the ones in the box are plastic) and sharper points for like $5 if memory serves.  I must say though the "scope" is a peep sight, which is easily adjustable and very useful, but not sure why they call it a scope.  However, my point is that  it is very cheap and weighs only 1.5lb.  It is small and easily assembled and disassembled with the included allen wrench.  I wouldn't use it against a deer, but small game, you betcha.  The whole thing takes up about the same space as a large handgun, but not nearly as heavy.  In fact it is lighter than most .22 pistols, especially loaded.  Also, it has the advantage of being able to fire without scaring all the animals in the forest.  Someone is selling 5 on ebay for $13 a piece http://cgi.ebay.com/50LB-Pawerful-Mini-Crossbow-with-Target-Arrows_W0QQitemZ190278275933QQcategoryZ33972QQcmdZViewItem

DeltaEchoVictor:

--- Quote from: Roswell on January 25, 2009, 07:21:40 PM ---I think it really depends on your purpose.  I recently purchased the crossbow pictured below.

It doesn't look like much, but here is what the company says about them "This 50 lb. mini-crossbow is constructed of stainless steel with a black hard plastic overlay. Complete with a scope positioned at the end of the barrel for precision in aiming. Perfect for target practice and amateur competitions! The mini-crossbow package includes 5 razor sharp arrows, prods, bow string, and target! Shoots 200 Feet Per Second with a pin point accuracy up to 40 yards."

I bought mine at a gunshow for $7, mainly for that reason.  It is pretty nice though, especially for that price.  I went ahead and purchased an extra string for $3 and some extra darts that had aluminum shafts (the ones in the box are plastic) and sharper points for like $5 if memory serves.  I must say though the "scope" is a peep sight, which is easily adjustable and very useful, but not sure why they call it a scope.  However, my point is that  it is very cheap and weighs only 1.5lb.  It is small and easily assembled and disassembled with the included allen wrench.  I wouldn't use it against a deer, but small game, you betcha.  The whole thing takes up about the same space as a large handgun, but not nearly as heavy.  In fact it is lighter than most .22 pistols, especially loaded.  Also, it has the advantage of being able to fire without scaring all the animals in the forest.  Someone is selling 5 on ebay for $13 a piece http://cgi.ebay.com/50LB-Pawerful-Mini-Crossbow-with-Target-Arrows_W0QQitemZ190278275933QQcategoryZ33972QQcmdZViewItem

--- End quote ---
I hope you don't really intend to rely on that thing for survival.  Everyone I've ever handled has been junk & aside from shooting a styrofoam target isn't good for much more than a paperweight.  I'd never shoot at anything larger than a squirrel with it either, if it can even kill a squirrel. 

Roswell:

--- Quote from: DeltaEchoVictor on January 25, 2009, 09:09:27 PM ---
--- Quote from: Roswell on January 25, 2009, 07:21:40 PM ---I think it really depends on your purpose.  I recently purchased the crossbow pictured below.

--- End quote ---
I hope you don't really intend to rely on that thing for survival.  Everyone I've ever handled has been junk & aside from shooting a styrofoam target isn't good for much more than a paperweight.  I'd never shoot at anything larger than a squirrel with it either, if it can even kill a squirrel. 

--- End quote ---

That is why I said small game. I agree with you when you said,

--- Quote from: DeltaEchoVictor on October 02, 2008, 09:34:40 PM ---
--- Quote from: surfivor on October 02, 2008, 06:02:52 AM ---

--- End quote ---

I tend to view crossbows as a niche weapon, they're neat & if you can't have anything else they're fine.  IMO there are much better options than a crossbow.   

--- End quote ---

However, they have their uses.  I still pack a 9mm and have shotguns and rifles, but for the price and the weight this particular crossbow ain't bad.  That is all I am saying.  Plus I gotta be honest it's fun.  No, I won't be relying on it.  I might try it out while it is still small game season though.

DeltaEchoVictor:
Okay, they are fun.  I'll give you that. ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version