Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > Homesteading and Self Reliant Living

Best Kinds of Houses for Survival

<< < (10/11) > >>

Earth Monk:
Suggs,
You had said something in October about wanting a circle of 5 dwellings for your family to retreat in. Great concept!
Enlist the help of the youngsters, the resources of the olders kids, and get 'er done. Seems like an easy sell as a family compound, then make it the BOL as things deteriorate. I also like the concept of taking a storage shelter and making it into a human habitat. Smart!

Big thumbs up also goes to the burried containers with tiny cabin above brought to us by Tash. You could bury it deep and connect with a culvert/ladder set up. That would be a great idea!!!

-Ras

Beetle:
There were two brothers(1800's) in the Steens Mountains who built their houses so they could watch each others backs. The houses are still there and I think they did it for Indians, but seems like a good concept.

TimSuggs:

--- Quote from: Earth Monk on November 25, 2008, 02:30:11 PM ---Suggs,
You had said something in October about wanting a circle of 5 dwellings for your family to retreat in. Great concept!
Enlist the help of the youngsters, the resources of the olders kids, and get 'er done. Seems like an easy sell as a family compound, then make it the BOL as things deteriorate. I also like the concept of taking a storage shelter and making it into a human habitat. Smart!

Big thumbs up also goes to the burried containers with tiny cabin above brought to us by Tash. You could bury it deep and connect with a culvert/ladder set up. That would be a great idea!!!

-Ras

--- End quote ---

That was sort of my idea.  It was more of a vision than an actual thought process though.  Putting all of the dwelling units in an inward facing circle saves on space, consolidates the common courtyard so there's always an "eye" watching over the kiddies whilst at play, and makes an outward defense more effective as well.  This "vision" also includes that all of the dwellings be behind a single circling wall of some sorts.  I actually would love to be in the center of three circling walls.  There was a paperback series I loved to read called End World, and I think sometimes I have flashbacks to some of the pages of that series that I have read.  They were a much better developed "villiage" than what I had in mind for me and mine.

Tim Suggs
Birmingham, AL. USA!

Beetle:

--- Quote from: timsuggs on November 25, 2008, 06:30:08 PM ---
--- Quote from: Earth Monk on November 25, 2008, 02:30:11 PM ---Suggs,

-Ras

--- End quote ---

That was sort of my idea.  It was more of a vision than an actual thought process though.  Putting all of the dwelling units in an inward facing circle saves on space, consolidates the common courtyard so there's always an "eye" watching over the kiddies whilst at play, and makes an outward defense more effective as well.  This "vision" also includes that all of the dwellings be behind a single circling wall of some sorts.  I actually would love to be in the center of three circling walls.  There was a paperback series I loved to read called End World, and I think sometimes I have flashbacks to some of the pages of that series that I have read.  They were a much better developed "villiage" than what I had in mind for me and mine.

Tim Suggs
Birmingham, AL. USA!

--- End quote ---

Circle the wagons.. You must have been a pioneer in a past life.

TimSuggs:

Circle the wagons.. You must have been a pioneer in a past life.
[/quote]

It worked for them (most of the time).

Tim Suggs
Birmingham, AL. USA!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version