Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > Homesteading and Self Reliant Living

Garbage Disposal

(1/2) > >>

ColdHaven:
I know this sounds kind of silly, but in a survival situation where you are homesteading to provide your family and self with food and the like how do you deal with a garbage disposal problem?

Of course anything organic could be placed in a compost bin, but that about other things? In such a situation would garbage disposal sites still be operational? I somehow doubt that even in a tough situation that you would not be able to buy non-organic items and equipment. Would there be a way to recycle such things on your own such as melting them down? If so, would anyone know a way to do that? What would be some of the methods you would use in a SHTF situation?

Gas-Mask:
Hate to say it but about 20 years back... some friend of my dads used to burn their trash... and this was up near Fresno....

Also, 3rd world countries do this alot!!!!! an I mean alot!

Not something I would do but... then again...  if push comes to shove....

Lucretius:
Hm, I can't come up with anything I'd throw away.

The compost bin swallows a lot.

Plastic and glass containers are useful, and I only throw those away now because new ones keeps coming in everytime we buy stuff. If living completely indepedendently on a homestead, I'd have to use and reuse the same ones basically forever.

Same goes for metal cans, plastic bags, etc.

Paper and such are good for starting fires.

The only useless thing IMO is light bulbs (which could make a descent burglar alarm FTW!)

Gas-Mask:
oh yeah... that too.... :P ;D

Joel:

--- Quote ---I know this sounds kind of silly, but in a survival situation where you are homesteading to provide your family and self with food and the like how do you deal with a garbage disposal problem?
--- End quote ---

T'aint silly at all.  I live in the boonies, and it's an issue.

Organics get composted, like a few people already said.  Burnables, we burn.  That probably sounds like heresy if you live in a city, and I confess I had to get used to it myself.  Hadn't seen a burning barrel in years.  But yeah, burn'em.  Glass jars get re-used; they're valuable. 

That leaves tin cans, beer bottles (ahem) and non-flammable construction/demolition trash.  Haven't found a self-sufficient answer for that one, so I haul it to the landfill.  If ever the day came when that was no longer practical, and I was generating that much trash, I'd contract with a neighbor who has a backhoe and make my own landfill.  I'd really hate to do that, though.

One problem I've got with my compost heap is that it attracts animals that I otherwise try to persuade to stay away from the ridge.  Open garbage attracts prey animals, which attract predators, which are dangerous to pets and livestock.  I've often wondered if the compost heap is a good thing.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version