Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > Communications

Weather Nets

(1/3) > >>

Ragnar:
Not sure how many people here participate on their local weather nets but I have found them to be a valuable  source of information. My area has had a few tornados and it is amazing that they are reported on the air about 10 min before on the TV. 

guess my only worry is getting caught in a Hail storm when I can not find cover for the car

ColdHaven:
I use my NOAA radio. I am not sure that counts.  :)

Hare of Caerbannog:

--- Quote from: Ragnar on June 02, 2009, 12:07:48 PM ---Not sure how many people here participate on their local weather nets but I have found them to be a valuable  source of information. My area has had a few tornados and it is amazing that they are reported on the air about 10 min before on the TV. 

guess my only worry is getting caught in a Hail storm when I can not find cover for the car

--- End quote ---

I don't think I'm familiar with local weather nets.
Can you explain more about them and how they work?

Ragnar:
In our area we have have a local club that will activate a weather net when the Weather service put out a warning. the net is hooked up to Tulsa (weather center) to provide real time information of what is happening in the area. Net control ask for volunteers   to report on conditions in their area. or If a tornado has been reported to confirm damage. Net control usually has access to better weather tracking programs and are inked up with National Weather service in tulsa to report findings.  Clubs that do this will usually have Weather spotting classes several times a year to go over what to look for and what to report.

We have very active Springs and Falls so that is when the Weather nets are more active

Hare of Caerbannog:
That's cool!
Is this done on the internet or radios or by phone?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version