Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > Transportation

Looking for another vehicle...

<< < (4/4)

David in MN:
I recently bought a 2015 Ford Explorer. All of the vehicles you listed will work depending on what really needs to be done with them. Do you want more interior or more towing?

Modern cars just work. It's more to do with how you interact (ergonomics). My wife likes Toyota because of the relaxed ride. I skew more toward a stiffer suspension like Honda (to use 2 Japanese makers). If you've got mom, dad, and a couple kids it's pretty tempting to get a Highlander with 4 captain's seats and do vacations in comfort.

Ultimately, the vehicle is decided by use. Do you have to drive and park downtown? Tow heavy stuff? Does mileage matter? Would a van's sliding doors offer an advantage? I love the Explorer but we'll use the Camry if we're going downtown.

So my process is to determine the class I want and then I test 2 of each vehicle in that class to determine the one that rides the way I like. When I bought my Explorer I assumed going in I'd buy a Highlander or Pilot but I just didn't like the handling of those two. Not putting them down I just drove the Explorer more intuitively. I shoot an M&P better than a Glock but you might be different.

At the end of the day all modern cars are pretty good so it's about choosing the one that rides in tune with you. I have zero brand loyalty.

oktheniknow:
I need to test drive several and see what I like best and the overall features getting.
I'm still conflicted between a truck (for long term and if I later get a trailer) and an SUV.
The Silverado is appealing, esp with later putting a shell on it for camping and such but I like the Subaru Outback as far as looks and mileage.

iam4liberty:

--- Quote from: oktheniknow on May 29, 2018, 11:04:48 AM ---I need to test drive several and see what I like best and the overall features getting.
I'm still conflicted between a truck (for long term and if I later get a trailer) and an SUV.
The Silverado is appealing, esp with later putting a shell on it for camping and such but I like the Subaru Outback as far as looks and mileage.

--- End quote ---

You can also camp ON a subaru.  This is popular among surfers. Funny, no?

mountainmoma:

--- Quote from: iam4liberty on May 29, 2018, 12:40:23 PM ---You can also camp ON a subaru.  This is popular among surfers. Funny, no?

--- End quote ---

It has been 20 years and I have never had mine pumped. Dont put stuff in that cant be decomposed by the resident bacteria ( rinse the dirt off produce outside) dont put stuff in that kills the resident bacteria.

That said, composting toilet are very simple.

oktheniknow:

--- Quote from: iam4liberty on May 28, 2018, 11:04:04 AM ---On the other hand, if you get a class A than the subaru would be ideal.  It is actually a popular choice among motorhome enthusiasts.  It will probably be our next vehicle if we dont go EV.

--- End quote ---
Getting into looking again. Now looking for a good gas mileage vehicle that could dingy (4 wheels down, auto transmission) tow behind a class A or C motorhome. The least complicated towing the better. Leaning towards Jeep Wrangler. Only 15mpg though.  Sure wish could with a 4Runner. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version