Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > Transportation

live/retire on a sailboat part of the year ?

(1/11) > >>

surfivor:
 This is an idea I got from a guy who has a boat ..

Suppose you lived in Maine and you had a 27 foot sailboat. Would it make sense and be economical as well as reasonably safe if you could set off on the sailboat in the late summer/early fall and sail down the coast for the winter ? Perhaps you anchor off of the coast in various places, thereby you don't have to pay for a hotel or a campsite at least some of the time. You could anchor in some harbor or inlet and go ashore in a smaller boat. Perhaps you could bring a small folding bicycle. I would bring a surfboard of course.

If you get down to Florida, the Caribbean, South America, etc, maybe you find someplace of the coast that is not too inhabited, maybe part of some island. You could do some gorilla gardening, pick coconuts, various fruits, citrus or what not; learn what is edible etc ... You could catch fish to eat etc.. maybe even catch some game somehow ... I guess you could bring a bow and arrow .. I think some kinds of pink oyster mushrooms grow like crazy where it is hot as well.

Obviously there are costs, various hazards and things to be aware of, but it seems like an interesting idea ...

Cedar:
I know a bunch of people off Vancouver Island in BC who did it for years. Some were Americans, some were Brits.

Cedar

endurance:
There's been several threads on this and using a sailboat as a BOV.  I love the idea, but some reality checks have been:
The peak of the Atlantic Hurricane Season is August through November 1.
Fresh water storage is finite and you either have to pay to resupply or have an expensive reverse osmosis system which requires fuel to run the generator (or more solar than will fit on a small boat).
There are still plenty of pirates in the Carribean.
Nothing is free in Florida, especially a place to sleep.

I still think it's a viable idea, but I got the impression it would be easier on the left coast due to differences in weather patterns, Coastline, and Baja being more adapted to the drifted lifestyle.

But hell, don't listen to me, I'm as land locked as they come (but my dad was a sailor,  sailed from Lake Erie to Oregon on a 26' Shark with a friend in his 20s, and many vacations involved boats when I was a boy).

Cedar:
And boat repairs are expensive.
Want a free one? http://eugene.craigslist.org/zip/4764789397.html

Cedar

soupbone:
This thread reminds me of an article I read in a yachting magazine in a doctor's office. It was a [humorous] poll on "Who was sexier, your boat or your Significant Other?" The response I remember was, "I don't know who is sexier, but I do know I've been f###ed by my boat a lot more than I have by my wife!!!"

Lesson learned: There's no such thing as a free lunch. Maintaining a boat, or managing one underway, is no easy matter - especially if you're going long distance cruising. One slight slip and you are in deep trouble. Even such little things as maintaining a watch 24 hrs/day can be almost overwhelming unless you have a trained crew. (More people = more supplies = bigger boat = more maintenance...) This would be especially true in a bug-out scenario when you would be on your own, so to speak. A 27' might not be comfortable - or safe - for ocean cruising, and if you use the Inland Waterway, you could find yourself landlocked. As a peacetime adventure, though, it is intriguing, but you will probably have to purchase your supplies - I don't think there is much "open range" along the Eastern Seaboard.

soupbone

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version