Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > Transportation

Battery Charger or Jump-Starter

(1/14) > >>

AZDuffman:
I have a birthday coming up and my parents are asking the usual "whadder ya want?"  As I build my preps I decided I should really have a battery-charger for my car.  Last year when it was really cold for the first time in 20+ years the car did not want to start from the cold.  Turned fine, but for the first time since I had a carb and not fuel-injection I could just hear the thing huffing.  I stopped turning the engine because I didn't want to kill the battery as I knew I had no charger.

That would be it, but last week I again saw how easy jump-starters are to bring out when we put a boat in storage.  I thought maybe that would be a way to go.  But I was told jump-starters have a "shelf life" and after a few years need to be replaced.  It will cost more as well, OTOH it is instant.

Any thoughts I missed?  One thing to say is I have and know how to use jumper cables if needed, which in my life they have more than once, so "know-how" is not the deciding factor.

fritz_monroe:
I like the idea of the jump packs, but I'd bet that the majority are not kept charged.  It's worthless if it doesn't have a charge.  The shelf life is because of the battery.  Just like any battery, the jump pack battery does have a finite shelf life.

I will eventually have a jump pack in each of my cars, but until then good jumper cables live in each trunk.

Personally, I would rather have a good charger first.

nelson96:

--- Quote from: fritz_monroe on October 20, 2014, 06:02:16 PM ---I like the idea of the jump packs, but I'd bet that the majority are not kept charged.  It's worthless if it doesn't have a charge.  The shelf life is because of the battery.  Just like any battery, the jump pack battery does have a finite shelf life.

I will eventually have a jump pack in each of my cars, but until then good jumper cables live in each trunk.

Personally, I would rather have a good charger first.

--- End quote ---

100% agree

Crazy Fox:
I wish I had experience to share about the portable jump starters, but I have only heard that they can be junk, especially if they stay on the store shelf for a while before getting sold.

Therefore my vote is a battery charger.

Next year, how about a portable tire pump?

Carl:
Get a good ,3 stage charger,like SCHUMACHER.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_0_5?url=search-alias%3Dautomotive&field-keywords=schumacher+battery+charger&sprefix=schum%2Csporting%2C659&rh=n%3A15684181%2Ck%3Aschumacher+battery+charger&ajr=2

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version