Energy Options > Wind Power

A differant way to store wind energy.

(1/2) > >>

armymars:
  I was thinking just now of one of our Mars Operators. During the Carter administration installed a bunch of solar cells and a wind generator. He told me that because of the varable wind speeds he got all the time, he just ran the wind turbine to the heating elements in his hot water system. Look Ma no voltage regulator. He claimed it worked fine.

LdMorgan:
Entirely reasonable.

Every Watt he ran into the water tank saved him exactly one Watt through his power meter.

Hot water is expensive. You can save a nice chunk of change with off-grid pre-heating.

Dollar for dollar, though, unless you live in the Arctic or own a wind turbine factory, solar heat is the best route for preheating water.

I have a passive solar heater that preheats my electric water heater. It cost me about $100.00 to build, and it's been saving me between a $100 & $150 a month  for years.

And that's with zero maintenance, too.

fritz_monroe:

--- Quote from: LdMorgan on April 22, 2013, 02:10:47 PM ---I have a passive solar heater that preheats my electric water heater. It cost me about $100.00 to build, and it's been saving me between a $100 & $150 a month  for years.

And that's with zero maintenance, too.

--- End quote ---
Care to share some details? 

armymars:
   Michigan has more cloudy days then clear ones. In the UP it's worst during the winter, but where he lives there's lots of wind.

Freebirde:
Could you hook a windmill/wind turbine to an air compressor, like is done for a water pump, to store energy.   A lot of tools can be run by air.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version