Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > Communications

Welcome to the Communications Forum

<< < (3/7) > >>

susan1957:

--- Quote from: GroundPounder on November 11, 2008, 01:26:29 PM ---One example would be the Hobo Code that is used by many homeless.  It is their form on communications.  If you ever find yourself in a bug out situation a few of these might prove helpful.

Here are some examples.

--- End quote ---

I always wondered how they seemed to find our church on Sunday nights walking from the interstate.  Very interesting.  Where would they make these markings?  On the bridges?  In the event of an earthquake my sister lives about 29 miles from my home.  After taking the cert class I found that between our two homes is an area where they day liquidfactor would happen.  We are searching for a way to get a hold of each other in that event.  Any suggestions? 

GroundPounder:
I would suspect you would find them on bridges, in front of houses, maybe even on some buildings.  Everyone should start looking out for these and post anything they find. Pictures would be good too.

Comm b/t people 29 miles away.....thats not an easy answer.  Are we talking from fixed locations or mobile?  A few things that come to mind:

1.  Two-way radios:  29 miles is a long way and not likely to work unless you have a tower with a good directional antenna.  You could consider getting your amateur radio license and putting something up.
2.  Satellite Phones: Probably the best and most reliable option but out of the price range of most people.
3.  Landline Telephone:  You would actually be surprised how resilient the phone system is.  It really takes a significant event to knock it off line.  Typically congestion is more of any issue than the phone system going offline.  Have an out of town contact you will each call.  Try different ways to call - direct, calling card, collect.  Also try payphones, especially the ones managed by the actual telcos.  They are mostly going away, but I have found them to be pretty reliable in actual disasters. 
4.  Cellular Phones: The cell phone companies have got a lot better at keeping their systems up in a disaster.  Most cell sites now have generators.  All the companys also now have COWs (Cellular on Wheels) or COLTS (Cellular on Light Trucks) that are mobile cell sites they will bring in following a disaster. Some carriers may work, some not.   Consider buying a few prepaid phones when you see them on clearance (I have seen them for less than $10 at Target) from carriers other than what your primary phone is.  Dont activate them, just keep them in your supplies until you need it.
5.  Internet:  Getting more reliable as well.  In Hurricane Katrina there were some places that lost power and phone but the Internet stayed up.  Having a Internet based phone option such as Skype is definately worth having.  Its free for most features and others can be added for a small cost on the fly. 
6.  Two-Way Pagers:  There is actually still a pretty good two-way paging network in place in this country.  Most will let you send email or text messages to people even without pagers.  Their towers frequently communicate via satellite rather than phone company lines.  As long as they keep power and their generators run it will probably work.
7.  US Mail: The US Government will want to do all it can to keep continuity of government.  Seeing your postman deliver mail is a symbol that the government is still operating.  It is considered part of national security and will have priority to get up and going again.  Not an immediate form of communications, but consider it is what we used before the Internet and phones!
7.  Message relay.  If you know someone is going to be headed in that direction ask them to take a note with them.  Have money or barter items to pay someone to deliver you messages and bring you one back.  Be sure to have a codeword or some other verification that the messages were actually delivered.
8.  Carrier Pigeon: OK, a little on the extreme side but it would work in many cases! They were used heavily in WW I for communications.  Might turn out to be a pretty fun hobby!

What it comes down to it takes having multiple options and knowing how to work them.  If you just depend on one option it will probably be the one that wont work.  If you have 5 options, hopefully one is going to work for you.

Beetle:
I don't like Satellite phones as much as a two way radio. If you are in the open I guess they would work OK. Here in a mountainous region they are very hit or miss, also they do not penetrate foilage very well. We have to get very creative with relay's to get even two ways to work, but here they are way more reliable than our Sat. phones....

GroundPounder:
Which sat phones are you using?

Beetle:

--- Quote from: GroundPounder on November 12, 2008, 02:47:07 PM ---Which sat phones are you using?

--- End quote ---
I believe they are Qualcomm's, but I'll have to check. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version