Armory, Self Defense, And EDC > Edged Weapons and Tools

Scissors for EDC

<< < (3/4) > >>

NWPilgrim:

--- Quote from: fritz_monroe on July 24, 2019, 07:12:51 PM ---I found my pair in my EDC so good that I bought another pair to put on my work bench.

As mentioned above, I have a knife on my multitool, I also have a couple of knives in my GHB.  I've never really had a need for a knife in my day to day work that a pair of scissors couldn't handle easier.  Opening mail, opening those damn plastic packages that everything comes in, cutting paper. 

In a SHTF situation, I'm pretty sure my knife will be far more useful, but not in the modern world.

--- End quote ---

Good choice.  The Klein electrician scissors are small but heavy duty.  They cut through cloth, wire, plastic, etc. just fine.  I have three pair for my tool bags and shop toolbox.  I tend to use a larger folder for most everything, but those scissors come in handy for a lot of shop tasks.  Never thought of taking them hiking/camping/get home purposes.

The other approach would be to just have a pair of EMT shears handy.  I already have a pair in my small hiking 1st-aid kit.  They cut through most things too except are purposely blunt nose so would not serve for alternate stabbing/puncture duty.

bartsdad:
I have a few of these. Cheap, very utilitarian, and TSA safe so far. I've flow all over the country with these in my carry on with no issue except for one time they looked at them briefly and let me go.

Amazon has them for less than $9.

EDIT: fixed tags

fritz_monroe:
I remember an interview Jack did several years ago, it may have been the guy that survived the Balkan wars.  He would carry this type of scissors any time he flew.  Taking the scissors apart gave him a 4" knife blade, just in case.

NWPilgrim:

--- Quote from: bartsdad on July 28, 2019, 03:02:58 PM ---I have a few of these. Cheap, very utilitarian, and TSA safe so far. I've flow all over the country with these in my carry on with no issue except for one time they looked at them briefly and let me go.

Amazon has them for less than $9.

--- End quote ---
Now those are plain ingenious!  Take-apart into a reasonable knife, and very useful as scissors.  I don't have plans to fly as much I did in my career, but we will be flying every couple couple of years for vacation or visiting.  I've always taken a couple of knives in checked bags, but these would be comforting to have in carry on. 

bartsdad:

--- Quote from: NWPilgrim on July 28, 2019, 06:23:58 PM ---Now those are plain ingenious!  Take-apart into a reasonable knife, and very useful as scissors.  I don't have plans to fly as much I did in my career, but we will be flying every couple couple of years for vacation or visiting.  I've always taken a couple of knives in checked bags, but these would be comforting to have in carry on.

--- End quote ---
Just here to help, thanks.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version