Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > Home And Business Security

Reflections on home security from a guy who learned how to pick locks

(1/1)

Chemsoldier:
Interesting article.  I know we have a few on here who have learned the skill as well.

http://lifehacker.com/learning-to-pick-locks-taught-me-how-crappy-door-locks-1750091711

endurance:
I initially felt pretty paranoid after learning to pick, too, but they're right; the most likely burglar is neighborhood teens that will just kick a door in. That's why I've put my energy into reinforcing the frame rather than buying high end locks.

Cedar:

--- Quote from: Endurance on January 04, 2016, 07:58:17 AM ---I initially felt pretty paranoid after learning to pick, too, but they're right; the most likely burglar is neighborhood teens that will just kick a door in. That's why I've put my energy into reinforcing the frame rather than buying high end locks.

--- End quote ---

Every person I know who got robbed had their front door kicked in. Mom and dad's front door had two sized of shoeprints on it. Last night I read the typical home robber is a 20-something male. They are not professional thieves, and attempt to go the shortest route from Point A of being outside to Point B of being inside. Which usually means breaking doors, even if there has been an open window in the house.

Cedar

Marinesg1012:

--- Quote from: Cedar on January 04, 2016, 08:07:41 AM ---Every person I know who got robbed had their front door kicked in. Mom and dad's front door had two sized of shoeprints on it. Last night I read the typical home robber is a 20-something male. They are not professional thieves, and attempt to go the shortest route from Point A of being outside to Point B of being inside. Which usually means breaking doors, even if there has been an open window in the house.

Cedar

--- End quote ---

To add to your point I read some where that 85-90 percent of all break ins come in through a door, instead of a window.

I installed hurricane doors for all of my exterior doors, cheaper then actual security door, but rated just as high.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version