Armory, Self Defense, And EDC > Bows and Arrows

Getting Back to Archery

<< < (2/3) > >>

strangetanks:
I would do some research and find a bow you like then buy one on ebay.  Best place I have found to get a good deal on them.

On a side note, if you are looking for a cheap target.  If you ask around it should be easy enough to find a retail place that will sell you a bale of cardboard for about $30 or $40 from their compactor.

InquiringMind:

--- Quote from: strangetanks on December 12, 2014, 02:37:54 PM ---I would do some research and find a bow you like then buy one on ebay.  Best place I have found to get a good deal on them.

--- End quote ---

When buying a used bow, what problems should you look out for? With a compound, especially, I would be afraid there was damage you couldn't see from someone dry-firing it.

Perfesser:
No crossbows?
A  good recurve crossbow (by good I mean Excalibur) is as accurate as a rifle to beyond 40 yards, you never have to take it to a bow shop, no press needed for adjustments or string replacement.
It can stay cocked all day(always ready to shoot), doesn't require any extra stress on old shoulder joints, you can have optics for your old eyes,  and doesn't need regular practice to stay proficient. I'll never go back to a vertical bow.
Don't even look at compound crossbows, the parts don't last under the kind of stresses crossbows develop.

Mjolnir:

--- Quote from: InquiringMind on December 12, 2014, 03:15:04 PM ---When buying a used bow, what problems should you look out for? With a compound, especially, I would be afraid there was damage you couldn't see from someone dry-firing it.

--- End quote ---
Usually anyone serious about selling a bow will provide good pictures of the limbs etc. The one thing I would look for or ask is if they lighten the draw weight when storing the bow for an extended period of time. This is good practice and also let's you know that the individual was concerned with keeping their equipment in good shape. Another good indicator of a individual who is taking good care of their bow is the condition of the string. If it looks good (isn't fraying and looks well waxed) they are probably taking good care of the bow in general. Beyond that I am not sure. Hopefully someone else will add some more things to look for. My father as bought several bows from eBay and hasn't had any issues.

InquiringMind:
Just to follow up:

Went to Cabela's yesterday. I tried out the Infinite Edge and really liked it. As I mentioned in the original post, it's been years since I shot a bow, but it still felt natural. Bows and bikes, I guess. I had them set it up with a 45 lb draw weight as a starting point so I can get in lots of practice without tiring out. As I build that strength, it will be easy to up the weight.

I managed to line up a bunch of holiday season deals, and walked out of there with a bow (including quiver, rest, sight, & peep sight), arrows, and release for under $300. Quite pleased with my purchase and can't wait to put some arrows down range! Hopefully this weekend. I'll post some pictures and a review once I have some experience with it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version