Farm, Garden and The Land > Live Stock, Critters and Aquaculture

Quail for processing compost

(1/2) > >>

International Harvester:
Hey all

I'm currently in southern california... specifically lakewood. My daughter has allergies that we are working on minimizing with probiotics and other non-pharma items. My wife and I are not purists but certainly feel that this route should be the first option. Among her alergies are chicken eggs. She loves eggs and so does the rest of the family. Since we have taken the eggs away from her, she has has felt left out. I began to look into raising cjickens for the rest of the family to eat the eggs but also for their ability to quickly processes bio matter into compost. To accommodate my daughtrs new diet, I am also considerimg raisimg quail for their eggs. I don't expect quail to be able to processes the bio mass into compost as efficiently as cjickens but if is anywherr close I might consider quial instead of chicken. We live on a small urban lot so space is important. I also should mention that we get a substantial quantity of food spoils donated to us from a local food bank. Will quail efficiently forage on kitchen scrap type food? When they loose interest in the pile, can I put what's left behind in our worm bims? How much of the brought in (purchased) feed can I expect to ofsett with this aproach?

Morning Sunshine:
 :popcorn:
cannot add anything, but watching

Moonvalleyprepper:
Hmmm....

I don't see why they couldn't. They are smaller and lighter so they won't do as much damage tearing it up. They can still denude the ground if put in a "quail tractor".

Are you thinking of a permanent setup or something movable like Lawton's chicken compost system?

...now you got my wheels turning...  ;)

International Harvester:
It would be a permanent coop with at least three paddock shifts. I'm basing these needs on chickens so I might be off base. My thoughts are the quail would use the coop similar to chickens (refuge and shelter). Then they would use one of the paddock shifts to tear up the bio mass while the other two are in development with a grazing crop of their choice (to be determined).  I'm trying to avoid having chickens and quail and would choose to exclusively use quail if they at least came close to the processing capabilities of chickens. I know it's gonna be less, but about how much less?  I guess I could tolerate a steep drop of production as long as they are interested in this suplamentql feed. Knowing they will process it, just over a longer period of time, is the confirmation I'm looking for.  Whith this feeding method, I can offset a serious amount of purchased feed when it comes to chickens. Ultimately I want to avoid financial inputs mimicking this methods with quail.

Cedar:
Is she just allergic to chicken eggs? Many people who can't eat chicken eggs can eat duck, quail or turkey eggs (personally I do not like the quail eggs). Z had 100 quail until about a year ago, we ate alot of those eggs. I am not keen on ducks eggs unless they are baked into something, but I like the turkey eggs over chicken eggs.

Cedar

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version