Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > Home And Business Security

Your door will not stop a kick in. Day time Kick In

(1/9) > >>

Twitchtwitchreel:
The short version

About a week ago, my sister-in-law was a victim of a kick in burglary.  The people involved kicked her front door in with one try.  The lock did not fail, the door jam failed!  I have since inspected 12 houses and they are all built this way!  If your door opens in, you need to inspect it and see if it can be kicked in.  Here is a link to a product that I like.
http://www.asafehome.net/

The full story
Last week 11/9/10 at 12 noon, while at home alone with her 5 year old daughter, My Pregnant sister-in-law heard someone pull up outside her house and slam a door.  She looked outside to see who it was and noticed a pickup.  Then she noticed the pickup didn’t have a license plate on the back of it, or in the window.  2 large men were milling around in the street looking around, as though they were lost or turned around.  The two men got back in the truck and began backing up into her driveway.  She did not recognize the men, nor did she recognize the truck. 

Karrie said she had a really bad feeling at that point.  To be safe, she went and got her .357 Magnum revolver, tucked the holstered gun into her pants and started back to the front door.  Just as she turned to leave the bedroom, she heard the doorbell ringing.  It was very obnoxious and was quickly followed by a very hard knocking.  By this time, she was halfway to the door.  She said the knocking stopped and then there was a huge BANG and the solid wood front door came flying open.  In the doorway, stood the two assailants that she had just seen standing in the street. 

Instinctively she yelled “WHAT ARE YOU DOING!!!!” and drew the gun.  The two assailants immediately recognized she had a gun and retreated back to their truck and left. 

She later “recounted that the shock of seeing the door come flying open really took me by surprise.  I was expecting to have a conversation thru the door, not in the living room”.

There are several takeaway lessons to be learned from her encounter.

1.   Being aware of her surroundings gave her time to act and not have to react.
2.   Having a plan in place and not having to make one up on the fly saved precious time.
3.   In less than 20 seconds, the criminals were in her house.  The average response time for the police is 7 minutes. 
4.   A solid wood door is not enough, you must reinforce the door jam in order to ensure the door can not be kicked in from outside.  Not even the dead bolt helped!
5.   Having a gun and knowing how to use it, saved her life.  “this is a quote from the officer who responded to the call.” 

Possenti2264:
What if you reverse the door so it opens outward instead of inward?  Then they have to kick against the locks and the entire jam in order to break through it.  Either that or they'd have to smash a hole through and attach a big freakin hook to the door and rip it off with a pickup truck.  At that point, why not just break a window instead?

idelphic:

--- Quote from: Possenti2264 on November 18, 2010, 08:49:34 AM ---What if you reverse the door so it opens outward instead of inward?  Then they have to kick against the locks and the entire jam in order to break through it.  Either that or they'd have to smash a hole through and attach a big freakin hook to the door and rip it off with a pickup truck.  At that point, why not just break a window instead?

--- End quote ---
This will put your hinge pins on the out side,.. and allow the intruder to just remove the door. Also,.. a exterior door openning in allows you to put your foot in front of it as a 'barrier'.. depending on a persons size it may not do anything,.. but does help.. a little.

I have seen an uptick in invasions and thefts,.. is it the time of year, economy or unemployment.  Regardless - little will stop a determined person who wants in...  I've always wanted to build my own doors,.. but know they are expensive,.. and heavy.

Hope your SIL is ok.

Twitchtwitchreel:
There was no harm done to her body, but her mind is now fried.  She is in a state of 911 all the time now.

I agree that you can't stop them, but you can slow them down.  Long enough to get to your gun and defend yourself.

Possenti2264:

--- Quote from: idelphic on November 18, 2010, 10:13:53 AM ---This will put your hinge pins on the out side,.. and allow the intruder to just remove the door. Also,.. a exterior door openning in allows you to put your foot in front of it as a 'barrier'.. depending on a persons size it may not do anything,.. but does help.. a little.

I have seen an uptick in invasions and thefts,.. is it the time of year, economy or unemployment.  Regardless - little will stop a determined person who wants in...  I've always wanted to build my own doors,.. but know they are expensive,.. and heavy.

Hope your SIL is ok.

--- End quote ---

Some extra security measures for outward opening doors: http://www.cmhc-schl.gc.ca/en/co/maho/holooucr/holooucr_004.cfm [LINK IS DEAD]

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version