Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > Homesteading and Self Reliant Living

yurt platform/land pics

(1/19) > >>

surfivor:
here is a pic of my yurt platform with storage container in back ground ..
notice hack stairs I did with pieces of cedar, left over wood and chain saw:

I have been creating a clearing for permaculture type stuff. Leaving some deadwood around to prevent weeds from popping up ..
notice tricky cedar clump in back ground, trees leaning on each other .. just bought a come along winch, hopefully that will help ..

driveway:

hardware cloth around yurt platform to discourage porcupines or other criters:

fritz_monroe:
Cool, thanks for sharing.

Greatswampa:
Hi,
Thanks for sharing your pics. what did you use to band around the outside of the circle?
Also, i don't know where your located, but you were saying how you left the dead stuff to keep it from growing in. Where i'm at it would fill in with raspberries and would be a greater mess to deal with.   
GS

surfivor:

--- Quote from: Greatswampa on November 15, 2010, 09:59:05 AM ---Hi,
Thanks for sharing your pics. what did you use to band around the outside of the circle?
Also, i don't know where your located, but you were saying how you left the dead stuff to keep it from growing in. Where i'm at it would fill in with raspberries and would be a greater mess to deal with.   
GS

--- End quote ---

It's some kind of masonite plywood, not sure exactly what else they call it .. The guy had told me that was a tricky part when I asked about doing it myself .. I helped him build it, it's bent around .. it is refered to as the bender board

I'm in Maine, I hope to clear out some of the wood, but I am not sure I can create enough of a sunny clearing and get a ton of stuff planted there at the same time. I want to plant jerusalem artichoke, ground nut, lambs quarters, amaranth, maybe some sweet potato, but not sure when I will have it set up for watering from rain barrel either ..
wild onion or something would be good, some fruit/nut trees .. I got hucklberry bush ready for spring too and red mulberry .. this is like zone 4b, not sure if mullberry will grow there if they say it's good to zone 5 on a website etc .. I picked some mulberries in Mass and sprouted the seeds myself .. this clearing is maybe 450 feet from the road and the yurt..

I allready planted a few rapsberries on the west side of the clearing, some from my mothers garden, some from down the street on the land .. I also transplanted a few elderberry plants .. see if that stuff takes ..

I was also torn between cutting more trees while I have the time to do that and thus let in more sun .. and not being sure what to do with all the wood and what sort of weeds where going to pop up. I have cut quite a bit, but still it's not more than 4 or 5 hours of full sun in a few areas I don't think .. I made a few wood piles of birch, maple and put tarps over that ..

The other complexity is if I plant stuff and later drop more trees, I have to try to avoid trees falling on stuff that I planted.

one part of the opening on the south east side has been getting wet, but it was not really wet there all summer, only the last few weeks ..

PAGUY:
Looks like a great start. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version