Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > Do It Yourself - Projects, Ideas and How To

Website/Computer Questions... I got answers

<< < (50/50)

Mr. Bill:

--- Quote from: Cave Dweller on November 22, 2018, 11:35:06 PM ---Do you see any problems with using a plugin to collect info and manage consent forms but exporting the list to a mass mailing service like constant contact when I want to promote the big release?

--- End quote ---

Sounds reasonable, but I'm pretty ignorant about what would be required.

Mr. Bill:
Oh, as long as we're talking about WordPress, I wanted to mention something about themes.  (A "theme", for those of you who are unfamiliar, is a chunk of software that you add to a website in order to control how it looks -- screen layout, fonts, colors, etc.)

There are 1.72 quadrillion WordPress themes available (I counted).  Most of them allow for rather limited customization -- i.e., "Your Site Shall Look Like This, but you can change the picture at the top if you insist."

At the other extreme, some websites hire a designer to create a custom theme (entirely from scratch, or as a "child" of an existing theme).  This requires a skilled designer, who will bill you a lot.

In the middle, there are a very few themes that allow a huge amount of customization, with pages and pages of settings, and the ability to add your own CSS if that's not enough.  I'm aware of only two themes that do this:

* Weaver Xtreme
* GeneratePressBoth come with a selection of sub-themes, which you can use as a starting point for your customization.

Weaver Xtreme is the only one of these that I've used, and I like it a lot -- but I enjoy tinkering with settings.  It doesn't include the latest website-fad-of-the-year features, but within its limitations you can make it look like almost anything.  For example:
http://www.thesurvivalpodcast.com/
http://blog.statler.ws/

Mr. Bill:

--- Quote from: Docwatmo on February 21, 2011, 07:54:58 PM ---I used to do a lot of hand coding HTML in notepad ...  Now I've discovered Joomla and will probably never use anything else again LOL  (Not really ...   But I like having several tools for the job because you just never know when one little feature from a program will make or break the site your working on.

--- End quote ---

So, Doc... it's nearly 8 years since you wrote that.  Do you still like Joomla?

I've been battling Drupal at the beginner level for years now.  Drupal 7 was moderately beginner-hostile, but Drupal 8 is a whole new level of hell for newbies.  I've finally managed to do a few simple useful things with it, but Drupal 8 is really aimed at experienced programmers who can write their own modules.

Docwatmo:
I pretty much stopped all development a few months after I wrote that.  Just never had any time.  I'm totally useless now.  LOL

Mr. Bill:
Ah well.  I might take a look at Joomla sometime just to see what it's good for.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version