Energy Options > Other Energy Sources

A new method of extracting hydrogen from water more efficiently

(1/3) > >>

iam4liberty:
This is starting to look promising. If they can double the efficiency it will be a commercial technology overnight. So this is getting real close.

Finding a strong catalyst for hydrogen separation would be a game changer.  Forget the renewable mumbo-jumbo.  What is important is the ability to take any electric stream and create a storable fuel.  imagine electric vehicles without the weight and expense of batteries and refueling times similar to gasoline vehicles. But there are dangers.  For example, there is a design for a new generation nuclear aircraft carrier capable of creating enough hydrogen to fuel a drone fleet larger than all the current airforces around the world combined. 

But for preppers, it could mean off-grid houses with no disadvantages.

https://phys.org/news/2019-10-method-hydrogen-efficiently-capture-renewable.amp
A new method of extracting hydrogen from water more efficiently to capture renewable energy

The team's research focused on finding a more efficient way to produce hydrogen through the electrocatalytic water splitting reaction. They discovered that electrodes covered with a molybedenum telluride catalyst showed an increase in the amount of hydrogen gas produced during the electrolysis when a specific pattern of high-current pulses was applied. By optimising the pulses of current through the acidic electrolyte, they could reduce the amount of energy needed to make a given amount of hydrogen by nearly 50%.

armymars:
WOW!

IKN:
Yes, very interesting indeed.
It seems that there have been great strides lately in both hydrogen production via electrolysis as well as ammonia creation direct from water and air.
https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2018/07/ammonia-renewable-fuel-made-sun-air-and-water-could-power-globe-without-carbon

I wonder if the new catalyst would improve the ability to crack ammonia back into hydrogen and nitrogen ?
Combine efficient hydrogen production with the ability to easily store and transport it in the form of ammonia using renewable energy sources. Then all we'd need is either an internal or external combustion engine fueled by hydrogen or a cheaper catalyst for use in a PEM for electricity generation to run electric vehicles.

I've always thought a hydrogen based energy economy was the ideal way to go for a cheap, non-polluting, renewable and almost endless energy source. It appears that day may come and soon.
We can only hope big oil and the powers that be don't bury it so people can't make their own and not have to rely on big corporations.

iam4liberty:

--- Quote from: IKN on October 29, 2019, 06:16:20 PM ---I've always thought a hydrogen based energy economy was the ideal way to go for a cheap, non-polluting, renewable and almost endless energy source. It appears that day may come and soon.

--- End quote ---

Yep.

Plus it looks like we can pull out the Molly-B-Damned jokes.

DDJ:
I get Hydrogen is a great energy source.  How is it renewable though?  Once it is burnt it is burnt.  There is plenty of Hydrogen in the sea so it is abundant.  It is in almost everything else I think as the most combined element.  We would be consuming it for a long time before we would use it up I am sure.  I would love to see it as an energy source so cheep it would not grow on trees but fall from the sky. 

I am not sure I would trust Hydrogen powered cars.  I do not like seeing the truck in front of me carrying "hydrogen refrigerated liquid" (I assume that is liquid hydrogen not as I first assumed "something so dangerous they had to move it in a bomb").  We see car fires all the time gas burns and explodes but compared to hydrogen... if the car carries water and turns it into Hydrogen there is still hydrogen in an explosive form between the converter and the burner (cylinder I assume).  My opinion is still out but on the fence.

The same opinion for a home unit.  There are more home fires than car fires. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version