Archived Boards (Read-Only) > 13Skills.com

13 Skills -- Your CCW experience

(1/6) > >>

d3nni5:
One of my 13 Skills this year is to get my concealled carry weapons permit.    It has been quite a journey and education so far.   Thought I'd start this thread so folks could comment on thier experiences doing this.   Seems to be a popular skill choice, ranking #5 as of this post.

d3nni5:

I'll start off by saying I decided to do this in the summer of 2012.   My girlfriend and I wanted to do this together and I was all for it.   I've have discussed the ins and outs of doing this as a couple in the "Flip that Spouse" thread.

We took our required education class on March 3, 2013.   A long, cold day but interesting nonetheless.   I called the local sheriff the very next day, who will only take applications by appointment.   Today, I finally got to drop off my application.   By state law they have 45 days to complete the background check and issue the license.

Things I've learned so far...

* far too many politics involved in this
* my county sheriff supports the Brady Campaign, if that tells you what I'm dealing with
* education fulfillment is just "busy work", mandated I'm sure for a good reason, but just turns into a $$ thing
* doing this as a "couple's activity" is fun, but be prepared to deal with your significant other's hesitations
* choosing to purchase a carry gun at this point in time is not only expensive, but you are limited on choices

TNVolunteer:
I take it WV is a "may issue" state or if not then the process is at least different than other "shall issue" states.   Here in TX, you take the class, get your pics and prints, send them off to the state DPS and the local LEOs aren't involved so that simplifies the process.  Now once you are approved and start carrying, the next part of the  journey and a new education begins.  I don't know you or your proficiency level so this is not meant as an offense, but if you haven't already, I would strongly suggest taking training beyond the state required courses.  Depending on skill level, something like safety and introductory handling on up to a basic "tactical" or "practical CCW".  The training can be a bit pricey but IMHO it is extremely valuable if you are serious about self defense.

TNV

d3nni5:

--- Quote from: TNVolunteer on April 03, 2013, 01:20:47 PM ---I take it WV is a "may issue" state or if not then the process is at least different than other "shall issue" states.   Here in TX, you take the class, get your pics and prints, send them off to the state DPS and the local LEOs aren't involved so that simplifies the process.  Now once you are approved and start carrying, the next part of the  journey and a new education begins.  I don't know you or your proficiency level so this is not meant as an offense, but if you haven't already, I would strongly suggest taking training beyond the state required courses.  Depending on skill level, something like safety and introductory handling on up to a basic "tactical" or "practical CCW".  The training can be a bit pricey but IMHO it is extremely valuable if you are serious about self defense.

TNV

--- End quote ---

TNV,

West Virginia is a shall issue state.   In other counties it can be easier than in mine (Monongalia).  It depends a lot on your sheriff it seems, and the amount of folks applying.  The nice lady who took my app today showed me the overwhelming pile of paperwork she has.   

I was discussing this with a member of the WVCDL about a month ago.   They are upset that our sheriff is not using the application fees to hire more help to process these requests, which should speed up the background checks.   If the backlog is really due to the amount of applications, then the $75 per application should help offset the costs.

Anyway, thanks for the advice on training.   I am experienced with firearms.   I'm not experienced with carrying.   I would like to go back to the NRA instructor we had a month ago and take some more classes.   Any/all the range time you can get is important.  As I can afford it I certainly will continue with the education.   I get my time in on the range as I can, but ammo is the biggest hurdle.

I am also planning another Appleseed event this Spring.   Not that has to do with CCW, but it is a great day of learning and shooting.

Smurf Hunter:
I got my CCW a few years back, but started carrying this year.  I live in a "shall issue" state, where the only requirement is submitting to a background check, finger prints and cheek swab for DNA.
It's $50 every 5 years.  Zero classroom or other training requirements.

My original motivation was simply for logistical convenience.  CPL (concealed pistol license - which excludes knives, long guns, etc.) holders have no waiting period of FFL purchases, and have few restrictions for transport to and from shooting ranges.

What's perhaps most ironic, is I got my permit at the King County court house in downtown Seattle.  If you follow Heavy G. you know this is a liberal hot bed.
My wife went to our local city PD for her CPL, and had a much more involved process.  You'd think the smaller department on the edge of suburbia, would be easier than downtown.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version